What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rusty Crawford's RV7A with SDS EFI

rv6ejguy

Well Known Member
rusty11_zpszhdvez4f.jpg

This is Rusty Crawford's beautiful RV7A from Friendswood, TX just after he painted it.

Rusty is one of our highest time EFI customers, having started out with Subaru power originally, migrating to Lycoming power a few years back and now upgraded to a full dual EM-5 system. I believe he's approaching 1700 hours now with EFI. He's been extremely helpful in giving us feedback, new ideas, testing and helping other SDS customers in the Friendswood area.

Rusty is an all around, super talented, super friendly guy. Happy to be associated with him and to see his airplane painted in this gorgeous paint scheme. Nice work!

Ok, so that green is the green I want on my plane! What, where, type...how can I get a hold of Rusty?

Ross,

Beautiful airplane!

Can you tell us about the electrical architecture Rusty uses? Things like, how many batteries, alternators, buses...

Is he using the dual channel EM5?

As I understand it from a recent communication, the EM5 also drives the electronic ignition eliminating the need for the CPI. Is that correct?

We used to live across the runway from Rusty - great guy, a d a real "motor-head" - an excellent person to be giving feedback on engine stuff. Glad he's giving you feedback Ross - a perfect guy to be putting on the hours.

Paul

We used to live across the runway from Rusty - great guy, a d a real "motor-head" - an excellent person to be giving feedback on engine stuff. Glad he's giving you feedback Ross - a perfect guy to be putting on the hours.

Paul

I got to know Rusty when I was working in Houston a few years back and everything said about him is spot on.

Ross,

Beautiful airplane!

Can you tell us about the electrical architecture Rusty uses? Things like, how many batteries, alternators, buses...

Is he using the dual channel EM5?

As I understand it from a recent communication, the EM5 also drives the electronic ignition eliminating the need for the CPI. Is that correct?

Hopefully Rusty will pipe up on the electrical system layout when he gets some time.

Yes, he's using the dual EM-5 ECU setup. The EM-5 can do both EFI and ignition control together. On the 4 cylinder, dual setup, each ECU has its own crank and MAP sensor and runs one set of plugs. We can switch injector control between either ECU.

Hopefully Rusty will pipe up on the electrical system layout when he gets some time.

Yes, he's using the dual EM-5 ECU setup. The EM-5 can do both EFI and ignition control together. On the 4 cylinder, dual setup, each ECU has its own crank and MAP sensor and runs one set of plugs. We can switch injector control between either ECU.

Thanks Ross.

When using the dual EM-5 configuration can just one SDS LCD Programmer be used or wold two be required in that situation.

Thanks Ross.

When using the dual EM-5 configuration can just one SDS LCD Programmer be used or wold two be required in that situation.

As Toobuilder said, SDS offers a special programmer (single unit) which can access both ECU boards with the flick of a toggle switch. No need to unplug cables and switch between ECUs, which is a pain. This also allows the 6 cylinder folks with the individual fuel trim option to trim cylinders 1,2,3 on the primary and 4,5, 6 on the backup as they share tasks when in the Normal mode.

Last edited:
Rusty continues to be the high time RV SDS user (closing in on 1800 hours). Here he is heading out with friends ostensibly for waffles somewhere over Texas. He's the 7A off the wingtip.

Last time I spoke to him he told me he was backed ALL the way up to the *** kicking machine! Don't think I will ever forget that one. Can't say enough about the wonderful advice and friendship he has shared with the converting of my 7A from Subaru to Lycoming and glass panels. We all love you man and wish there was more of you to go around!! :D

I would agree. Rusty has come up with many of the new ideas that we incorporated into the EM-5 over the last few years and is just an all around great guy. Knowledgeable in electronics, machining, mechanicals, engines, airframes, painting etc. and willing to lend a hand to help others when he has the time. One very savvy and friendly guy.

I was lucky enough to meet him personally at Reno last year and we shared a great dinner and gab session after the races.

Back