What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

6A versus 7A

ALagonia

Well Known Member
I would like some real world opinions from those that know both models of the difference in value between an equally equipped 6A and 7A. Also some opinions on resale value between the two a few years down the road. And if anyone wants to add their real world actual experience of the difference in flying qualities between the two that would be very helpful.
I am trying real hard to own an RV.
Thanks guys

Lots of differences but I believe the biggest is the MGW due to different spars and other improvements.

RV-6 = 1600 lbs
RV-7 = 1800 lbs

Max fuel:
-7 = 42
-6 = 38

-7s sell quickly for a premium while -6s are less pricey and more available (more built, to date).

Last edited:
They fly closely enough that most wouldn't be able to tell a difference between the two. There are, of course, subjective opinions but for the most part I think builder preferences and options are probably more important than the airframe differences.

The -6A has a recommended gross weight of 1650lbs, while the -7A is at 1800. Many -6As are at 1750 or 1800 as well since it's up to the builder. Fleet experience seems to suggest that isn't unreasonable.

The -7A has a higher acro gross weight, but I think attributing this to wing strength differences is folly. I doubt the wing would be the thing that would fail first, actually - it's usually the tail feathers. I am not aware of an in-flight failure of an RV-6/6A wing so the strength difference between the two isn't really significant.

Agree with Brad

I bought a 6A because I thought it was a better value than a 7A.

Cheers, David
RV-6A A&P

Buying or building? if building I pick the 7, if buying on a budget the 6. I think you can find a 6 cheaper than the cost to build one.

I would like some real world opinions from those that know both models of the difference in value between an equally equipped 6A and 7A. Also some opinions on resale value between the two a few years down the road. And if anyone wants to add their real world actual experience of the difference in flying qualities between the two that would be very helpful.
I am trying real hard to own an RV.
Thanks guys

Similarly equipped, with similar build quality, and similar hours, a -7a will be a bit more expensive than a -6a. The bottom of the -6 market is lower than the bottom of the -7 market because of age, equipment, and build quality, but unless you're bottom feeding, that may not be a big deal.

The -6 should be slightly sportier to fly, and the -7 will have a bit more useful load, fuel tankage, etc.

Thank you all for your comments. This may very well be my last airplane and i just want to make the right choice.

Back