What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Additional elect power?

E. D. Eliot

Well Known Member
I'm training on a Sling so I'm around their shop some. They are constantly building up new Slings to sell. Saw one which had a Rotax? alternator attached to the upper left hand area of the engine PSU. Bolts right on - I think that it is a 15 amp alternator. Looks like a very clean installation and I guessing - that that alternator was created or blessed by Rotax.

So, i'm interested to know if anyone has installed such an alternator to his/her RV-12 after certification? The cowling of the Sling is longer so, to install this type of alternator on my 12 would require considerable cowling rework. Probably need to add 4-5 inches to the front of the cowling. And add a prop spacer alike the one on the Sling. I'm a few months or a year from doing this so I have a while to gather opinions and facts. Your thoughts - Thanks, Ed

I'm training on a Sling so I'm around their shop some. They are constantly building up new Slings to sell. Saw one which had a Rotax? alternator attached to the upper left hand area of the engine PSU. Bolts right on - I think that it is a 15 amp alternator. Looks like a very clean installation and I guessing - that that alternator was created or blessed by Rotax.

So, i'm interested to know if anyone has installed such an alternator to his/her RV-12 after certification? The cowling of the Sling is longer so, to install this type of alternator on my 12 would require considerable cowling rework. Probably need to add 4-5 inches to the front of the cowling. And add a prop spacer alike the one on the Sling. I'm a few months or a year from doing this so I have a while to gather opinions and facts. Your thoughts - Thanks, Ed

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=85230

An old post from a few years ago

There is also an alternator that can be mounted to the rear of the gear reduction unit. I believe that the vacuum pump mounting pad is used for the purpose. That would (probably) not require a cowling extension, however the pitot tube would have to be relocated elsewhere (like the wing). You might want to check that out.

Back