What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Items to omit from kit?

azflyer21

Well Known Member
I'm in the process of starting my -14A build (setting up shop), and was wondering what items did you omit from the Van's pick ticket and what product did you use as a replacement. I guess any feedback for any of the kits would be helpful in my planning.

Beringer wheels and brakes are a nice upgrade from the kit-supplied components. Do a search here to see some details.

One thing that comes to mind for me (not everyone) , are the wiring harnesses. You may also think about the engine controls, if you were to go with the quadrant you will want to delete the original control cables. Some are replacing the plastic eyeball air vents with aluminum . A lot of us have gone with the Teflon brake lines from Flightline so you could delete the brass fittings and plastic lines .

One thing that comes to mind for me (not everyone) , are the wiring harnesses. You may also think about the engine controls, if you were to go with the quadrant you will want to delete the original control cables. Some are replacing the plastic eyeball air vents with aluminum . A lot of us have gone with the Teflon brake lines from Flightline so you could delete the brass fittings and plastic lines .

Ron,

Glad you are liking your brake kits.

http://aircraftspecialty.com/rv-14.html

Here's a link to the page for anyone who wants to take a closer look. Tom and I have also taken some steps to ensure we can have the most popular of these kits available for shipment within 3 business days.

Happy building
Steve

Last edited:
  • Air vents, if you upgrade to the aluminum from Van's or elsehwere
  • Sticks, if you go with Tosten grip upgrade from Van's, which inclue the sticks (and are pre-wired!)
  • Seat parts, if you are going with one of the vendors that supplies the frame as well

And probably a bunch of others stuff that you'll only figure out later!

One thing to consider adding is the UV canopy. They sell a slightly more UV blocking version and can special order for you. (In finish kit)

Just wondering what brand engine rubber isolator does VANs supply for the IO390 and has any one gone with the Lord mount instead?

ACS brake & fuel lines omissions

For those who used the ACS brake and fuel lines, are these the items to omit from the Vans std kit?

Brake lines: RV-14A
- FLF-00004: T-Fitting on firewall
- (10) F 69-F04X02: 90-degree Fittings
- PT-062X1/4X15' (High Pressure Brake hose)
- PT-062X1/4X9' (HI PRES Dual Brake System

Fuel lines:
- (8) AN818-6D: fuel line flared nut
- (8) AN819-6D: fuel line flared interior sleeve
- AT0-035X 3/8 x 8' (Soft Alum tube coil)

Thank you for your advise..

For those who used the ACS brake and fuel lines, are these the items to omit from the Vans std kit?

Brake lines: RV-14A
- FLF-00004: T-Fitting on firewall
- (10) F 69-F04X02: 90-degree Fittings
- PT-062X1/4X15' (High Pressure Brake hose)
- PT-062X1/4X9' (HI PRES Dual Brake System

Fuel lines:
- (8) AN818-6D: fuel line flared nut
- (8) AN819-6D: fuel line flared interior sleeve
- AT0-035X 3/8 x 8' (Soft Alum tube coil)

Thank you for your advise..

That all is correct for the cabin components. I don't have a set of plans in front of me at the moment, but I think that the gear leg hose components come with the finishing kit. If you are planning on utilizing our gear leg hoses also, we provide the AN fittings that go into your calipers as well as the AN fittings at the fuselage exit point also.

Here is a link to the manual.
http://www.aircraftspecialty.com/PDF Documents/RV14 Brake and Fuel Manual.pdf

The gear leg hoses start on page 12.

Have a great week and let me know if you have any other questions.

Steve

Back