What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Lower Canopy Rail Gusset...

TomVal

Well Known Member
Installed left and right reinforcement gussets to canopy rail.

photo-6.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Tom do you remember what gage of that aluminum is? We just removed the canopy for fiberglass trimming it looks like a perfect opportunity to add the stiffener.

Tom do you remember what gage of that aluminum is? We just removed the canopy for fiberglass trimming it looks like a perfect opportunity to add the stiffener.

Actually, I'm not sure. The aluminum came out of the floorboard of a 1947 SeaBee. As with you, it looked about right so we used it. It had original primer on it. We just cut, drilled, lightly scotchbrited, reprimed, then installed.

Regards,

I'm using 0.025" from some spare fuselage skin that I have. That will be plenty for this job. After all, that's all that supports the other side. :)

Last edited:
I buckled one of these upper frames by accidently leaning on it during the build with just a few clecos securing it to the skin, so that doesn't really count. However, I tend to grab that area of the rail when getting in or out of the plane and think a little more stiffness there would be a good thing. And it gives me an excuse to make something. :D

Last edited:
Heavy Pilot Issue

I'm not sure what problem this addresses. Have people had problems with the canopy frame?

I am not very flexible. Sometimes I will bear some weight on the rail while settling into or getting out of the seat and have noticed some flexing of the rail. Until I lose more weight (have recently lost 15 pounds) or inherit a more flexible body, I thought this modification would better support that area.

Regards,

Last edited:
For all of you "full-figured" RV-12rs out there, I think that you will find this gusset mod to be very useful. I can almost guarantee that at some point in your RV-12 flying future, the pilot and/or passenger will reach back and push real hard on the cockpit side rail resulting in a pretty good bow in the rail. :( I installed a canopy lock similar to that shown in these pictures, but I cut a 1" hole in the gusset for future lock access (if ever needed).

Back