What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-4 Vetterman 4-pipe exhaust end pieces

Stevage

I'm New Here
I just received my replacement RV-4 O-360 Vetterman 4-pipe exhaust today. I ordered it through Aircraft Spruce to replace the same system on my plane due to some metal wear from the heat muff and a crack in one of the pipes.

The problem I found when opening the box is that the new exhaust end/tip pieces are several inches shorter than what I am replacing (see the photo). The end/tip pieces on my prior setup are 11.5" long.

Does anyone know if those are an option from Vetterman or someone else? I tried calling Vetterman today, but haven't heard back yet. Thanks!

RV-4%20Exhaust%20new%20%26%20old.jpg

Exhaust

I will respond to this being I designed the systems with both style ends. Your old system is the original 2 bend style that was designed in about 88-90. Without getting into a lengthy wavelength, harmonics, resonance etc discussion, I changed to a single bend turndown some years later after fully testing both styles. Didn?t see any power change etc, so the single bend turndown became the standard.

RE: RV-4 Vetterman Exhaust

Thanks for the quick reply. My A&P and I have tried to fit the new ends; however, they don't seem to work without me angling the exhaust ends directly toward the middle.

When we angle them downward, they hit the trailing edge of the cowl. My A&P is concerned that without directing the exhaust downward, we will be increasing cabin noise and heating up the footwells. Additionally, two of the pipes contact each other when angling them inward.

Is it possible to get the older style or somehow get mine to work without doing a lot of modifications to the cowl that might affect engine cooling?

Exhaust

If the turndowns are hitting the rear of the bottom cowl, it wasn?t trimmed correctly. It should be close to the length as the vertical sides of the cowl. They need to point down not towards the center. Trim the bottom cowl.

Back