What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Strong whistle

My RV 12 flew for the first time at the end of November. Everything worked fine so far I flew six hours. Last weekend I started to hear a loud whistle similar to the stall alarm. I have reviewed all the stall alarms plus the problem continues.
The whistle is so strong I can not fly the plane.
Can anybody help me?

Benedito Angelo
S/N 120547

I don?t have a flying 12 yet, so can?t help diagnose the problem, but if I did, I?d need more information to help. Does it occur when the plane isn?t moving? Is there a specific air speed at which it starts to occur? Does it change with angle of attack? I?d think those types of answers might help.

Check the alarms, I have a D180 and it was the AOA warning even though I don't have the AOA installed, the previous owner was trying to reset some custom settings and I guess defaulted some others. A friend who was familiar with the D180 noticed this and put the alarm to off, its was a constant tone in the headset.

When does it whistle?

Had a similar prob. Loud buzz/whistle in flight. Turned out to be leading edge of the canopy. Somebody on this forum (sry, don?t remember who) helped me out.
Good Luck

Whistle

Benedito,
It is unclear from your post, did you try removing your headset while in flight? If the whistle disappears then review the settings as mentioned earlier. If the whistle remains, then turn your head in various positions to get a general idea where the source is.

We have a mild whistle that appears to come from the right edge of our canopy. A small rag laid along the forward edge stops the noise.

If your noise persists you could also try using tape over any exterior holes or gaps until the source is found.

Good Luck and Happy New Year!

Dave

I inherited a whistle when I installed my gear fairings and wheel pants. Notice it more on descent at low power settings.

Back