What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Show us a pic of your FINISHED RV-10

Awesome looking plane! However, with a name like Johnny Walker shouldn't it be painted red? :p Johnny Walker Red... think about it... :D

Come on now,think about it.... bluelabel? The top shelf stuff? Hence the username? Ironically I'm a bourbon drinker anyway...not a scotch fan.

So I finally got her back from the painter today. Here's a before and after pic in front of our hangar:

33548522374_6871709c26_z.jpg

33548502904_80208754c3_z.jpg

Looks great. You going to have it on display at the air show this weekend?

Can't wait to see it in person.

Looks great. You going to have it on display at the air show this weekend?

Can't wait to see it in person.

I plan to. I can't be there Friday for setup, but Sande said I could move it to the static display area with the Chapter's other airplanes first thing Saturday morning.

Painted

Got it painted by Lancaster Aero at Smoketown airport in PA (S37). We are extremely pleased with the result. The quality is just excellent!

20180716_094248-small.jpg

20180716_121628-small.jpg

And here she is tucked away at home.
20180716_122117-small.jpg

Black trim

Looks good.

I'm noticing that more of the RV-10s are going for glossy black trim around the windows and what could be called the door pillars. It's a really neat look and makes the curves around the plexi look nicely finished..

Are your windows Vans clear of tinted?

Looks good.

I'm noticing that more of the RV-10s are going for glossy black trim around the windows and what could be called the door pillars. It's a really neat look and makes the curves around the plexi look nicely finished..

Are your windows Vans clear of tinted?

Windows are standard Van's clear.

I think the black trim I mentioned helps the "sleekness" factor. :)

I really like the look too. But I remember the "old days", when standard advice was to not paint composites dark colors, for fear of softening the room temperature cured epoxy. Anyone know if this is still true, or an OWT? Or even if the cabin top is a room-temperature-cured epoxy?

XU-XOX is an aeroplane

So after about two years and just over 1300 hours, QB kit #41612 became an aeroplane on 14 November 2018. This happened at The Coves, South Africa. This is my 7th project and might be the last. ;) What a fantastic aircraft. Thank you to Vans for providing us with such an incredible kit. A big thank you to everyone else involved.

XOX_01.JPG

XOX_02.JPG

XOX_03.jpg

Dual Garmin G3X, G5, GTN650, WX500

XOX_04.JPG

XOX_05.JPG

Post maiden RV Grins - me on the RH side.

XOX_06.JPG

Below is a link to the first take off. Besides a slight left roll, no snags at all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fH6HAtjFhJ0

Nice job, I like the forward console light where did you get that?
Auto scrapyard
Looks great! In the top picture you have somehow made an RV10 look small
That is a picture from my Sony camera like the others - might be the wrap around black paint?

Paint

Electrogunner, who did your paint. It looks great.

Thanks. Lancaster Aero at Smoketown Airport did the paint work. They do great work and I'm based there so it was very convenient. I'll post some pics of the interior next week as I have the seats out now for a tunnel fuel leak. We have a custom upholstery shop on the field as well.

Here's a photo of mine

Hey there. I'm a little late in posting this (it's been flying for 2 years now), but here is a photo of mine while it was on static display at an airshow:

open

Picked up my bird today after receiving a much needed paint job. Mark and the crew at Glo Aircraft Painting did a phenomenal job. They worked with me throughout the process including re-taping the lines at least 4 times. I could not be happier with the results!

Test photo

I think I figured out the picture posting. Anyway, 4.5 years of building, three moves, and one hurricane passing through during the build. Jonathan at Evoke aviation worked with Lori on the design and the paint job. His crew did an awesome job with sooo much attention to detail. I did the windows the same way they are installed in the Glasair Sportsman 2+2 and very pleased with the results. Special thanks to Vic Babyak, who was always there to get me back on track, and of course everyone on this site who all had great advice.

0-E5-BF154-289-F-454-C-9-A95-FABF69-C0-B620.jpg

Last edited:
Door panels

Do you have any photos of your interior door panels? Did you make them?

Beautiful paint! Enjoy the plane!

Back