What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

DIY tube bead roller

FrankK90989

Well Known Member
After sending in my Dynons to get the bright screen option I wanted to make some custom fittings for the static & pitot lines, I had used nylon fittings before and don't like them. I made the fittings using brass copper and some silver solder, but needed the tubing beaded. So I made two bead rollers, the tube cutter version works better see photo. Cost $5.00 for elcheapo tubing cutter and just pennies for the rest. The pins are made from a grade 8 bolt.:eek:
img1267fy6.jpg

Last edited:
Sweet.......

Since you're flying you must be trying to satisfy a little builders' withdrawal:)
Nice work. Did you machine the bolts down to get the raised section that makes the bead?

Thanks,

One more idea

Fit a tube over a small screwdriver to keep it on these *#@# screws, I used a drill bit shank and made a couple one short one long #19 drill bit works.

img1270hm4.jpg

Last edited:
Since you're flying you must be trying to satisfy a little builders' withdrawal:)
Nice work. Did you machine the bolts down to get the raised section that makes the bead?

Thanks,
Pierre,
Yes I turned them on my new H.F. mini lathe, my other lathe is to big for the small stuff. The little H.F. lathe actually works quite well, very good runout on the supplied chuck. Builder withdrawl big time---been real close to ordering a -8

Nice

Frank any ideas of making a few of them and selling them here. I would be interested since I don't have a lathe.

Greg,

In case you are interested, Franks has a great little lathe which, for its size and price is an incredible buy. I have had one for nearly 10 years, and found it tp be perfect for this kind of small machining therapy. There is also an active HF Minilathe yahoo forum as well, with all kinds of active memebers and projects. HF also supply an incredible small desk top milling machine as well, which again, for its size and price is very capable. Both lathe and mill are under $500 each, although I think there are other suppliers of the same mill for even less.

Allan

Back