What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Kudo's to Anti-Splat Aero...Main Wheel Bearing Mod

TomVal

Well Known Member
As advertised, lightening fast turnaround and exacting workmanship. Look at the number of wheel weights required to balance the wheel!

photo-2.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Thank you Allan!

Tom

Last edited:
Tire balance

Tire balance? Looks like a lot of weight,if I have to add more then three ounces to a car tie & wheel,I brake the tire down and rotate it 180 degrees,as Murphy would have it,you can mount the heavy side of the tire on the heavy side of the rim and have to add a ton of weight to get it to balance.
RHill

Did you have to do a new weight and balance?

That thought did cross my mind. Yes, I too was surprised to see all those weights. I'll see how it runs with the weights. I didn't have any vibration or tracking issues before the mod.

Last edited:
Wheel Weights!!!!!!

Its about 2 oz looks like. Takes a lot of weight to balance a tire when the weight is only a couple inches from rotation.

... I know this looks ridiculous, but it was this or toss the tire in the trash. This is actually four ounces and is considerably more than is usually required. As the tire was new it seemed a shame to toss it out. We rotated it around and this was the best position requiring the fewest weights. It is now perfectly round and in balance. This should perform flawlessly and render a very smooth ride as well. Don't know about the airplanes weight & balance? Thanks, Allan..:D

weights

Amazing number of weights. Conversely, my BMW motorcycle with metzeler tires require NO balance weights.

These are really small wheels to require that much weight. I know little about this mod other than the very real question presented in the past of how those bearings handle side loads...but I assume there is a machining done to allow the bearings to seat? Are you sure the machining is exactly centered?

Isn't there a dot on the tire to position opposite the fill valve (maybe it's WITH the fill valve. Can't remember which)? Would that result in this much balance weight if it was wrong?

WoW, Yea of little faith

Sorry Allen,if I inferred that you didn't take the hours involved to correct a Tire issue from a Far away exotic land.Net Net.your time&considerable skill Vs a new Michelin tire but as you stated why waist a new quality control checked tire just because it has square sides!:eek:

... I know this looks ridiculous, but it was this or toss the tire in the trash. This is actually four ounces and is considerably more than is usually required. As the tire was new it seemed a shame to toss it out. We rotated it around and this was the best position requiring the fewest weights. It is now perfectly round and in balance. This should perform flawlessly and render a very smooth ride as well. Don't know about the airplanes weight & balance? Thanks, Allan..:D

Allan,

The tires are original equipment and have about 90 hours on them. As you saw, the tire wear has been minimal and tread wear very even. My aircraft is about 30 pounds lighter than the standard RV-12. I had no vibration or steering issues that I was aware of.

When the time comes for tire replacement, I'll send the wheels and tires back to you for re-balance.

However, thanks for turning a sow's ear into a silk purse.

Regards,

Last edited:
I never waist a tire. It would be a shame and who knows, I might find my old hula hoop in the hangar. :)

No anti-splat wheel mod

I called anti splat about having the wheel hub mod made to my
RV12 hubs. Alas, they have ceased performing that service for the RV12 hubs. So...those that have had the mod completed, lucky you. The rest of us, keep packing those bearings
Has anyone that had the mod completed ever had an issue with your hubs?

I called anti splat about having the wheel hub mod made to my
RV12 hubs. Alas, they have ceased performing that service for the RV12 hubs. So...those that have had the mod completed, lucky you. The rest of us, keep packing those bearings
Has anyone that had the mod completed ever had an issue with your hubs?

Larry,

Sorry to hear they discontinued that service. I have had no problems with the hubs since modified.

Regards,
Tom

Back