What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

is it good to alternate rivets on rudder trailing edge?

Does is make sense to alternate the rivets on the leading edge of a control surface...in my case I'm building the rudder. I will use proseal to hold the parts together, with a strip of L bracket running the entire length, clecoed in, allowing a couple of days for drying before I rivet. Thanks for sharing your wisdom on this.

Rivets

Leave it clekoed to the straight edge for at least a week. Two would be even better.
The longer it sets the stronger the bond.
I don't think the rivets need to alternate. Just take your time. Partially set every 5 or 10th while checking the edge then go back making passes till all are partially set. Do it again till they are fully set. Keep watching the edge. It will be perfect.

I alternated my rivets, just to minimize any potential warpage. I went slowly; I did a partial set on all and then went back again to do a final set. I turned out very straight!

Alternate trailing edge rivets

Alternating the trailing edge rivets sounds like a nice symmetry to me.
With alternate you mean flush heads in the "even" holes on one side and in the "uneven" holes on the other side.

My question would be how to set those?
Since you have to set them partly in phases you could only rivet one side at a time, skipping ever other hole.
Is that going to be a problem?

Back