What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

"Special finishing kit" order form?

N546RV

Well Known Member
So I've been going a bit crazy the past day or so trying to really plot and plan the rest of my build - estimating cost outlay for engine/prop/avionics/remaining kit/etc, trying to move towards decisions on engine prop, and so on.

In the midst of the price estimate, I was checking the current finish kit price, and the order form has this to say:

If you are NOT taking advantage of Van?s special OEM pricing on new Lycoming engines, and are obtaining an engine from another source, you must use the Special Finishing Kit order form. Use Standard Kit Form to order a Finishing Kit ONLY if you are purchasing a new engine from Van?s.

Stock Lycoming is definitely an option, but I'm leaning hard towards another source, very possibly Titan. Problem is, I cannot for the life of me find this "special finishing kit" order form anywhere.

I know lots and lots of people here are using engine from sources other than Van's - can someone shed some light on this?

So I've been going a bit crazy the past day or so trying to really plot and plan the rest of my build - estimating cost outlay for engine/prop/avionics/remaining kit/etc, trying to move towards decisions on engine prop, and so on.

In the midst of the price estimate, I was checking the current finish kit price, and the order form has this to say:

Stock Lycoming is definitely an option, but I'm leaning hard towards another source, very possibly Titan. Problem is, I cannot for the life of me find this "special finishing kit" order form anywhere.

I know lots and lots of people here are using engine from sources other than Van's - can someone shed some light on this?
The form is on the Van?s web site, it is at the bottom of the page of the finish kit order form. Good luck!

The form is on the Van’s web site, it is at the bottom of the page of the finish kit order form. Good luck!

But there is no "finish kit order form" for the -8, there are just the standard and quickbuild forms. You use the same form for every kit, just picking different options. Those are the only two RV-8 forms I see linked on this page. Both the standard and quickbuild forms reference the "special" form, but neither include that content.

I do see that some of the other models that have online forms (vs the "old" paper/PDF form), when you select the finishing kit, it asks you about what engine and so forth. Maybe they'll update the -8 to use that setup by the time I order.

Obviously this is all solvable by a quick call to the factory, but dammit, it's Sunday and not knowing things bothers me. :p

Forms

Call and ask. They will send whatever form you want. I usually ask for an inventory so I can see what is included or stuff I don't need.
2nd the tip on tint. SC-15 tint.

But there is no "finish kit order form" for the -8, there are just the standard and quickbuild forms. You use the same form for every kit, just picking different options. Those are the only two RV-8 forms I see linked on this page. Both the standard and quickbuild forms reference the "special" form, but neither include that content.

I do see that some of the other models that have online forms (vs the "old" paper/PDF form), when you select the finishing kit, it asks you about what engine and so forth. Maybe they'll update the -8 to use that setup by the time I order.

Obviously this is all solvable by a quick call to the factory, but dammit, it's Sunday and not knowing things bothers me. :p
Sorry about that , I ?assumed? it was a 7

Back