What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Garmin GAP 26 Pitot/AOA location

bomber_JB

I'm installing a GAP 26 pitot/AOA probe (heated and unregulated) in RV-10 quick build wings. I'm using a Gretz mount.

Fore & Aft installation question: The Garmin specs state to use manufacture's recommended location. The specs also state that for "optimal AOA functionality" that the pitot tip should be no further aft than 25% of the chord line and no further forward than 2" in front of the wing leading edge. The chord line is 56" and 25% of the chord line is 14". If I install per the Gretz mount installation (aft of the main spar) the pitot tip will be further aft than 25% (14") of the chord line. It appears that the Garmin requirements would dictate putting it forward of the main spar but it's a quick build wing and that section is already rivited.

What have others done that have faced this situation?

Lateral installation question. There is a wing access panel between ribs 4 and 5 (counting from the wing tip) that provides access to the aileron bell crank. Following Van's instructions (but not using their 1/4" tubing probe), I was planning on installing the pitot/AOA probe between ribs 5 and 6 (counting from the wing tip). Any issues in installing there?

Thanks

Jerry

I had the same issue with the quick build wing and ended up installing behind the spar and in the lateral location you mentioned. Ideally it should be farther forward and ideally not in front of the aileron but in the real world, mine works fine where it is.

I had the same questions and consulted Garmin. No issue with putting it behind the spar. I put mine right next to the access panel with the heater control mounted to the access panel cover. Works well in flight. No isssues

Kevin

Hello Jerry,

We realize this probably doesn't help in your example, but we want to mention that we don't presently think it is possible to have the GAP 26 mounted too far forward.

The AOA probe works really well in clean air and seems to just keep working better the farther forward it is mounted away from the effects of the wing.

We have seen some problems, notably with a number of certified aircraft, mounting the probe too far aft on the wing.

Thanks,
Steve

Just behind the spar was the consensus fore/aft location. Laterally there was alot of choices so I went just outboard of the rib just outboard of the last access panel.

Thanks to all.

Jerry

My GAD 26 was mounted per Van’s plans location. It is accessible via the outboard inspection panel. I had also checked with the Garmin X folks before doing the install. I have no issues. Hitting the 100 hour mark on the plane. Also, there is no interference with tying the plane down. Some have mentioned this as a possibility.

Back