What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Best way to install fuselage wiring

SabreFlyr

Well Known Member
Sponsor
I'm just getting started on my emp kit but QB fuse and wings are on standby. I've been thinking about how I'll be doing the fuse wiring and other interior fuse work. I didn't know if anyone had done a -14 rotisserie but apparently so. A low set of trolleys would also work but my back probably wouldn't like it as much.

The only thing I don't like about either of those options is that I imagine doing that work without the upper tail cone skin attached. I'd much rather attach the upper skin to the tail cone (with it being suspended vertically from the ceiling) before attaching the tail cone to the forward tub. For those who have their fuselage wiring done, have any of you gotten it done without having to climb into the fuselage? If so, how did you do it?

All of the antennas and wiring harnesses are installed at the same time as you are assembling the fuselage while there is easy access. Two of the cables get sandwiched between two of the bulkheads and the left side skin that would be all but impossible to install after the skin is on. The rest get fed through holes and snap bushings in the bulkheads. That is, of course if you go with the plans and wiring harnesses as prescribed by Vans. If you go your own route then you shouldn't have trouble working through the gap left by leaving the top skin off. I think crawling inside is problematic because the bulkheads are pretty fragile. I suspended the tailcone from my shop ceiling so I could stand inside while riveting on the top skin. Works pretty good.

Two of the cables get sandwiched between two of the bulkheads and the left side skin that would be all but impossible to install after the skin is on.

Are you referring to the tail cone here?

I want to rivet the tail cone top skin the same way you did. Therefore, I'd like to have its wiring complete before adding the top skin. I'm seriously considering using the common wiring harness myself but I'll be adding at least one item that I don't think it provides for (a pulsing red beacon on the top of the VS for night ground ops).

It would also seem that I could do most of the wiring in the forward fuselage prior to adding the tail cone. I may have the tub sitting on a low dolly but I anticipate a lot of backaches that way. I'm wondering how others, particularly other QB builders, have attacked that access issue (e.g., tub on side, rotisserie, low dolly, or some other means).

I wired in the standard harness along the left side per the instructions - put it in place before riveting the side skin. In retrospect it may have been easier to do this after riveting that skin in place. On the other other side I wired in some extra wires for future needs - one 3-wire shielded and 3 bare wires (22 ga). I made these long enough to reach anything in the back and forward to the panel. I bundled them together and placed them along the j-channels on the opposite side. I can always pull them out later if I don't see a need but my EAA Tech Counselor (Vic Syracuse) thought it was a good idea too.

References: https://turnerb14a.blogspot.com/2017/01/january-1-2-2017-update.html

https://turnerb14a.blogspot.com/2017/01/january-20-2017.html

Last edited:
Ray If you are speaking about the tail cone, it's easiest to install those wires when called for in the plans. The optional main harness will go in later after the front and tail cone parts are attached. You will still need to crawl back into the tail to install the elevator bellcrank parts. As far as ease of back pain, I put mine on a rotisserie and did most of the wiring to date that was with the fuselage on it's side and me sitting on a small stool next to the plane.

FYI to all: A buddy and I have been beta testing a rotisserie made by John Price on our RV-14A kits with great results. It provides a sturdy way to roll the fuselage on its side or back for ease of access. He sold a previous version of it through Cleaveland Tools. Once he is satisfied with our testing, I presume he will be marketing it again. Highly recommended.

Thanks for all of the information, guys! Med, I'd appreciate knowing when that rotisserie becomes available.

Back