What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Flap Tape removal

thompsonbr87

Well Known Member
The anti chafe tape on my flaps is looking pretty rough. I've read on a few threads and picked up some new tape and one of the eraser wheels. I've read and been told that I would need to "drop the flaps" in order to get to it. At first, I thought this just meant lower them to their normal full down position, but the more I learn, it seems like I actually need to disconnect them in some way? Is this fairly straightforward?

The anti chafe tape on my flaps is looking pretty rough. I've read on a few threads and picked up some new tape and one of the eraser wheels. I've read and been told that I would need to "drop the flaps" in order to get to it. At first, I thought this just meant lower them to their normal full down position, but the more I learn, it seems like I actually need to disconnect them in some way? Is this fairly straightforward?

There is an internally wrenched bolt that attaches the flap pushrod on the root end of the flap. Take it out and the flap will drop to the point where you can remove the flap tape. Make sure you're holding the flap when you remove the bolt - it'll swing and hit anything in the way otherwise.

I Did Mine a Little Differenter

The openings in the fuselage on mine were such that I couldn't move the rod far enough to get the bottom bolt out, the rod hit the fuselage opening. I ended up pulling the bolt at the top of the rod instead. A little harder because you have to open up the side panel on the fuselage interior. Also, I didn't want to work with the flap just hanging so I took them all the way off so I could work at the bench. That made the process much easier. It also allowed me to clean everything up since they had been on for about 17 years.

Before:

IMG_0830-M.jpg

After:

IMG_0831-M.jpg

Want to see more

Wow Steve , from what your showing it looks like a pretty neat paint job. Any chance of posting a photo of the whole plane? :)

You didn't ask, but here goes . . . Eraser wheels carry some paint risk and take a bit of labor. I removed HMW using a heat gun to warm it and peel off, then applied cut strips of (2) smooth paper towels, wet that with mineral spirits and one stripe of lighter fluid, covered the whole area with aluminum foil and let it sit for 4-6 hours. Ensuring it was not drying out. Then take off a foot or so at a time, scrape off the goo with a plastic razor blade or equivalent, using the still wet towel for the first wipe and a bunch of towels cut to 3" squares and lighter fluid for the final wipe. No paint damage and no residue.

It sounds harder than it is. 40 min to apply and 30 to remove, with a long gap for other work in between. Just ensure the foil does not allow the solvent to evaporate.

Naptha is Coleman stove fuel which I use instead of lighter fluid, and put the mineral spirits in a 99 cent clear condiment bottle from the dollar store. The spout makes for easy application for many uses, including belly oil removal.

Worth what you paid for it.

Sounds simple enough. I was gonna try to get to it today. Too hot to function right now though... Why do people live here again?

I really like this stuff. It lasts for 10+years and doesn't yellow, peels off easily if needed.

I have heard that some guys say it's "sticky" if the skin sets on it too tightly, but I haven't had that issue. I suppose a bit of wax would cure that problem?

PPF flap kit

Back