What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Radio Stack Navigator Placement

rapid_ascent

Well Known Member
I just bought a 430W so I need to reorganize my radio stack. Is the current thinking that it should be placed high in the stack?

The 430W installation manual - which, strictly speaking, should be followed for the TSO to be valid - says it should be the same height as the AI or PFD, plus or minus half its height (e.g., no higher than the bottom of the 430 at the same height as the top of the EFIS.) Consult the manual for exact limitations on placement. Some depend on having remote annunciators, etc.

Bob,

I was reading the installation manual today on my fight back to SFO from back east. I?ll admit I haven?t studied it carefully but it discusses horizontal limits extensively. Vertically it seems to only mention the lower limits as you have described. Did I miss something? Also it would seem that there are preferences within the acceptable limits.

Currently I have from the top: GMC305, PM8000B Audio Panel, GTR200, GTX335.

I was trying to decide where to put the 430W. I think almost any position would put it in the vertical bounds of my main G3x screen.

I think my preference would be above the GTR200. Although I?m thinking I might still want my GTR200 as my COM1.

The upper limit of your 430 location may be dictated by the structure behind the panel. Any long-tray radio such as a Garmin 430 or 650 will interfere with the lower mount for the windshield center brace on a sliding canopy RV-7. This is an area that can't be modified much. On the tip-up RV's, the angled sheetmetal brace for the canopy frame can also interfere with the end of the tray. In our experience, audio panels or autopilot controllers usually wind up at the top and both need less depth.

Back