What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV7 Instrument Panel

mmoran

I'm New Here
Has anyone ever shortened the bottom of the 7's instrument panel?. My wife loves to fly with me and I'm building a 7. The instruments panel is low and makes it very difficult for her to get in.

Panel Position Seems Too Close

Does the RV-7A panel seem close or almost in your face? I've been hangar flying getting ready for first flight and with the seat cushions in I feel like I'm too close to the panel. Pedals are okay. Seat is all the way back. The seat seems to vertical too, like it should be tilted back a little. Any suggestions? (Other than I'll get use to it.)

thanks

The Antisplat Almost 14 Mod provides a nice reclining angle. Great mod - inexpensive at $180 and relatively ez to install if u built the plane.

If you have sufficient head room, you could also try a spacer under to seat cushion to raise you above the panel. You could try a 1" ridgid styrofoam panel under there to see how that feels.
For a real panel in your face experience, try out sitting on a Rocket or RV8.

To pickup on the Antisplat comment, you might also consider additionally adding the new Easy Exit bar @ $89. Both the Almost a 14 and the Easy Exit Bar modifications should address any entry, exit and seating position concerns you might have.

My thought was that by raising the bottom of the instrument (by cutting it off of course) it would allow more room for bending ones leg. Long flights, leg cramps, etc. I haven't finished the build yet and I am still contemplating the panel layout. With todays avionics there is more than enough real estate (in my opinion) for all that I would need.

I plan on doing the same - minimalist panel using modern instruments should allow for maximum legroom. In my experience, you can never have enough!

Back