What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

BC410 Standby Alternator w/ Titan IO-370

rapid_ascent

Well Known Member
Has anyone used a BC410 standby alternator with an IO-370? It appears that the longer oil filter adapter may interfere with the alternator. I'm curious if anyone has worked through this issue?

Well... No comments.

How about if I make the question more generic. Does anyone have any experience with the interference between the standby alternator and their oil filter adapter?

After talking to B&C it seems the only solution is to use a shorter spacer.

Alternator response

Cant speak specifically about ECI 370. The B&C 462 ( assume 410) will clear the Lycoming /Superior oil filter adaptor that comes straight out the rear of the acc. Case.

Had Titan swap the angle adapter for a straight (superior) adapter on my new 370, BC410 installed with no issues. I'm pretty sure the BC410 won't work with the angle adapter supplied.

Walt, i’m starting to think that is what I’m going to have to do too.

Mark, do you know the spacer length? There seems to be 3 standard lengths. I think it’s .75”, 1.4” and 2.5”. I pretty sure as shipped mine has the 2.5” spacer. That’s a no go according to B&C. The 1.4” requires an extender kit which I would prefer not to do.

Last edited:
Mark, do you know the spacer length? There seems to be 3 standard lengths. I think it?s .75?, 1.4? and 2.5?. I pretty sure as shipped mine has the 2.5? spacer. That?s a no go according to B&C. The 1.4? requires an extender kit which I would prefer not to do.

I may be going out to the airport this afternoon and will check.

I finally got out to the airport today and took the below photo:

oilmount.jpg

The 3/4" extension positioned the oil filter mount exactly where I needed it to be.

Mark,

This is great information. Thanks for you information. I suspected you had the 3/4" extension since you didn't mention adding the extension kit to alternator which would have been required for the 1.4" extension.

I guess the only question I still have is what is the difference between your RV-8 mount and my RV-7A mount in the area of the oil filter. You seem to have sufficient clearance with the 3/4" spacer I'm just not 100% sure if that would also be the case for the RV-7A mount. This is encouraging though.

I received my 0.75" oil filter spacer. I did a test mount of the 0.75" spacer and now everything looks like it should clear. I'm ready to finish up mounting the new oil filter adapter. The adapter installation instructions don't mention any type of gasket sealer. In the installation manual there is a generic reference to Gasket Maker and Gasket Sealer. So I ordered the referenced type of K&W 401504, Copper Coat Gasket Compound. I thought I should be ready to go, but looking at the originally installed gaskets it doesn't appear that this stuff was used since they look pretty clean and the Copper Coat material is this dark grayish color. The original gaskets almost look like they don't have any sealant or I guess it could be a clear sealant. So now I'm not sure of the best way to proceed.

Any comments or suggestions?

Oil filter adapter spacer gaskets

Hi Ray,
The gaskets do not need to have any sealant on them. Nor do they need to have oil on them. Just install them dry and torque to 96 in. lbs. We often install the B & C alternator for you when we built the engines. It is one of the many options the we offer on the Titan engines.

J.B.

Great Titan Support

JB, thanks for all of your support. I?m afraid I?m an aircraft engine newby and its been very helpful.

JB may be cussing at the other end of the line but he never shows any side but great customer support. This is independent of how many times we go back and forth. Just great customer service.

Thanks Again.

Back