What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

AP Pitch Settings

KALEWIS

Well Known Member
Ok, to start off, the AP is great but .. I have went thru the inflight procedures and I'm still having an issue with the capturing of altitude. The AP will blow thru the selected altitude by maybe 60 feet and then keep "oscillating" +- 40-60 feet on either side of the selected ALT. sometimes VSI up and down by up to 400fpm. Smooth air is better but not perfect. I have tried different values in the pitch settings including the VANS RV-12 presets. No play or slack in the control system. Looking for some input for data points on what pitch values seem to work best.

Kyle -- My RV-12's SV altitude hold function seems to work fine using Van's pre-sets. Might you have an issue (partial blockage, loose connection, etc?) with your static system? -- David

Kyle -- My RV-12's SV altitude hold function seems to work fine using Van's pre-sets. Might you have an issue (partial blockage, loose connection, etc?) with your static system? -- David

In addition, excess friction in the pitch axis can cause issues.

Just had the VFR / static check last week and no leaks. Scott, the controls are smooth Thru all ranges of travel, what is a good way to determine excess friction.

Today I reloaded skyview 15.1 with the vans presets and flew in relatively calm air. The AP captured alt well and held it within 20'. Much better than before.

Back