What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Removing N-Numbers / Decals

f14av8r

Well Known Member
I want to change my N-Number. I've accomplished the paperwork but now I have to actually change the numbers on the airplane! I thought these decals would just peel off. Wrong! I think maybe they have been clear coated. Scraping with plastic razor blades isn't working. Heating with the heat gun isn't working.

I'm afraid to try the chemical approach. Any ideas?
Thanks,
Randy

Screen%20Shot%202018-08-10%20at%203.57.51%20PM-L.png

Recommend having someone of experience look at it. It should be easy for an experienced eye to tell if they are just vinyl or clear coated over or painted on. Then you can form a plan of attack.

Paint?

My painter used the vinyl numbers that I supplied as a mask for the paint. The whole plane was painted white. Then the numbers were applied. Next, the red paint was applied over the vinyl and finally, the vinyl removed leaving behind white numbers on a red background.

It would require a re-paint to change my numbers.

Eraser wheels work extremely well and are easy to use. A little pricey at you local auto paint supply outlet.

If they are a paint match to the white on the aircraft, they are most likely painted on. If they are an off-color get a magnifying glass and look close at the edge of one of the numbers, you'll be able to tell if it is paint or vinyl clear coated over.

Back