What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

In a beat of the heart, life changes...

Jetj01

Well Known Member
It's going to be a beautiful RV flying day and I don't get to :( Last Wednesday at 10:00 A.M. my life changed. Sitting at my new semi-flying job desk, after just recently retiring from the USAF with 21 years and 4,421 hours as a fighter pilot, my heart decided to skip a beat, and a few more. The ambulance drive to the hospital, listening to the EXCELLENT EMT's do their work and tell me what they are finding, was very sobering and I found myself quietly crying as I began to realize that I would no longer be a 'no restrictions' medical kind of guy. Four days later I am home again, thankful to be alive, a lot smarter about 'heart decease' and wondering why this happened to me. As it turned out, I still have a very healthy heart and artery structure but the electronics is confused. In RV building lingo, my magneto is sending out strong spark but it appears my wiring harness is suddenly connected to the wrong spark plugs and causing misfires. Inbedded in my chest is now the top of the line St. Jude wireless pace maker and I'm sitting at my computer quite impressed with the work of the cardiologist(s) and all the smart people out there who keep people like me alive. God bless them.

I guess I am writing this so that if there is anyone else out there who is or has experienced this, well, Hello, I'm new, kinda scared, but realize that God does not make mistakes, this is another mountain I can climb, and the prognosis so far is that in time, with at least a little paperwork and more time, the FAA, may be kind and let me solo my RV-4 again, maybe.

Happy New year everyone and isn't it a beautiful day to be alive! Don't take life for granted...don't take flying for granted...dip a wing for me today!

Tailwinds

Last edited:
A wing will definitely be dipped for you today....

...and if your battery runs low, I'll be more than glad to prop it for you:D

Blessings.....and yes, the cup is half full.

Best,

It's going to be a beautiful RV flying day and I don't get to :( Last Wednesday at 10:00 A.M. my life changed. Sitting at my new semi-flying job desk, after just recently retiring from the USAF with 21 years and 4,421 hours as a fighter pilot, my heart decided to skip a beat, and a few more. The ambulance drive to the hospital, listening to the EXCELLENT EMT's do their work and tell me what they are finding, was very sobering and I found myself quietly crying as I began to realize that I would no longer be a 'no restrictions' medical kind of guy. Four days later I am home again, thankful to be alive, a lot smarter about 'heart decease' and wondering why this happened to me. As it turned out, I still have a very healthy heart and artery structure but the electronics is confused. In RV building lingo, my magneto is sending out strong spark but it appears my wiring harness is suddenly connected to the wrong spark plugs and causing misfires. Inbedded in my chest is now the top of the line St. Jude wireless pace maker and I'm sitting at my computer quite impressed with the work of the cardiologist(s) and all the smart people out there who keep people like me alive. God bless them.

I guess I am writing this so that if there is anyone else out there who is or has experienced this, well, Hello, I'm new, kinda scared, but realize that God does not make mistakes, this is another mountain I can climb, and the prognosis so far is that in time, with at least a little paperwork and more time, the FAA, may be kind and let me solo my RV-4 again, maybe.

Happy New year everyone and isn't it a beautiful day to be alive! Don't take life for granted...don't take flying for granted...dip a wing for me today!

Tailwinds

I have a friend and a family member with similar conditions.One is 40 the other 72. After discovery they were both real down. Now that some time has gone by, both seem their old jovial selves. Apparently it is not life threatening, just a long term inconvenience . In their case that is.
I can only imagine what you are going through, but let time pass and all will be well.
Happy new year.

Pacer

I'm glad everything went well. Bless your heart.

Is a pacer enough to ground you from flying? Are their restrictions? If so, what are they?

....was very sobering and I found myself quietly crying as I began to realize that I would no longer be a 'no restrictions' medical kind of guy.

Don't take life for granted...don't take flying for granted...dip a wing for me today!

I had the same feeling two years ago driving myself to the emergency room. It does take some perciverience to work the FAA stuff and is a hassle every year but I now never take flying for granted. I fly every time I can as if was going to be the last time I will ever flying. It actually makes it more enjoyable as you appreciate it much more then before.

Hang in there and you will be flying the RV again.

I had a similar condition several years which required ablation surgery to laser a nerve in my heart that was firing at the wrong time causing a rapid heart beat, 170 BPM. In my case they found the offending nerve and killed it and cured my problem. They did tell me that there was a possibility that after they killed the nerve my heart might not work right and would then need a permanent pace maker. It worked great so no pacemaker and after a year and a half I got my medical back but have to submit a letter from my cardiologist saying I'm still OK and have to have an EKG to prove it. I'll bet you will be back flying before too long just hang in there. If a heart transplant patient can get a medical surely you can.

My son has a condition that sounds similar. His condition is called SVT or super ventricular tachacardia (or something like that). His heart sort of miss-fires and seems to beat about 200+ beats per minute - in certain circumstances. My doctor told me he can get a third class medical with the right kind of medication. He isn't doing that because he gave up on a career in flying and hasn't gotten into personnal aviation (yet). He doesn't have a pacemaker, but I'm wondering if the pacemaker takes the place of medication we were told about. You may be able to get a third class which is all you you need since you're done defending our country (thanks, by the way). You might want to contact the AOPA legal services team, or someone else there when you feel up to it. Best of luck (I know luck doesn't have anything to do with it).

Scott

OK, I'm crying agin...

I may want to think of myself as a tough fighter pilot, but your kind remarks has me crying again, in thankfulness. Yes, I have thought that flying is the greatest thing on earth, but the last few days I have begun to realize it is really my wife, family and friends that rank the greatest. You, my fellow flyers, my friends, are what make flying second best!

Tailwinds!

hang in there

Jj - I sent you a PM. As someone who has been dealing with the Special Issuance process for a number of years, including prior to my first RV-6A flight but well after I started the build (and I'm only 41), I can tell you it's worth the effort to get the medical back and can be done for conditions you might think are "too hard".
Worry about health and family first, but don't give up on getting the medical back!

Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

JJ:

I am sincerely sorry to hear about your health issues.

There is a gentleman four hangars down from me who just finished a kit-built cub replica. He was the first person ever to be issued a 3rd class medical while flying with another man's heart in his chest.

Anything is possible, brother.

I too had a scare

I feel your dread. A few years ago, I went through a divorce, one not of my own wishes (but in hindsight, I am glad it happened). Anxiety got the best of me on a few occassions and my heart would palpitate at an eratic beat. After about the third time doing this, I made an appointment with the doctor. After a thorough exam, including an ECG, I found out I have a condition known as Right Bundle Branch Block. Basically, I have a wire going to a spark plug that is broke in my heart. My doctor is also my FAA medical examiner. After he explained to me what RBBB is and how one comes about getting it, my second question was will this medically disqualify me from flying. (The first question is could I have possibly passed this to my son as a hereditary issue.) I was 36 at the time. After lots of research and since there was no evidence that I did or did not have this all my life, the doctor wrote this off as me not recently acquiring the problem and I still get to fly. I know my story has a happier ending than yours, at least presently, but keep the chin up. With medical progress being what it is, you may just get that E-ticket back.

JJ.

The process to special issuance will more than likely be extensive. I do know of two Captians at the Airline that I work for that hold a class I and have had electro heart issues one has an ICD. Both say the FAA have been thorough but extremely helpful. I also personally flew with an individual that had diabeties that was cleared back to flight status.

Here are two sources that may help in the process of continued medical certification. Pilot medical solutions works with the FAA directly on your behalf, www.leftseat.com. Another good source of information is www.aviationmedicine.com.

God speed and I wish you continued good health.....

Supraventricular tachycardia (SVT)

The docs found that I have Supraventricular tachycardia (SVT). My symptoms were a rapid heart beat that usually lasted only a few minutes. Medication (FAA approved) cleared it right up. A stress test and wearing a Holter monitor satisfied the FAA for a third class medical. A friend building another RV has an even more serious arythmia also treated by medications and he has a second class medical. Don't give up.

First off, I'm very, very happy to know that you are still alive, and that the condition shouldn't be life threatening. Count your blessings.

Second, take comfort in the fact that the aviation medical systems are evolving, and every year we learn of folks who are flying again who not so many years ago would have been grounded for life. You'll fly again.

An last, make sure you have your priorities straight. Do whatever it takes to get healthy again. Then worry about flying. This is life's version of "Aviate, Navigate, then Communicate".

Good luck. We're rooting for you.

1) Thank goodness you're going to be OK.
2) Don't give up....either Danny or Stan told me of an ATP flying with a donor heart.

Adding you to the prayer list and so grateful again. Thanks for letting us know...

b,
d

Back at work in 4 days--isn't modern medicine great?

I had a balance problem last summer and talked to the FAA regional office (the next level up from the FSDO, but your FSDO can probably get you the right phone number). I found them very helpful, encouraging and supportive. I suggest you start there.

An online resource is the AME handbook, which you can find at:
http://www.faa.gov/about/office_org/headquarters_offices/avs/offices/aam/ame/guide/media/guide.pdf

It lists just about every condition and tells the AME what to do about it--issue the cert, deny or refer to the FAA for a decision. It helps to know the medical term for your condition.

Jj,

Blessings that you are OK...and you must be one strong dude, with 4,000+ hours in fighters (thanks for your service!), and already back at work after this ordeal.

That strength will get you through, both the FAA paper trail and the path back to health and strength...and the cockpit!

And I too was amazed at how many VAF teammates' lives have been touched by medical adversity, and how willing everyone is to share, in order to lift a buddy up.

Best of luck, hang in there (wing dip on its way), and thanks for that little gift of perspective on what is really important...kissed the wife and kiddos this am!

Cheers,
Bob

Down, but not out!

Jj, the good news is your still around to talk about it. The other good news is that perseverance will pay off and you'll probably be back in the air soon, maybe after only a 6 month sit out. There really is no bad news in your event except that it had to happen, a real bummer!

It's been over 20 years since I got my first special issuance (and even held a first class for about 15 years and was an airline pilot.) I think the key is to carefully follow the protocol the FAA requires for testing (they'll provide that information to you), find a cardiologist willing to work with you and meet the FAA's requirements, and an AME who wants to see you flying again. Hang in there and you'll be airborne again and that RV grin will be bigger than ever!

Keep the faith,

Rick

You are a pretty impressive guy

Recently you stood up to be counted in support of my old employer's airplanes and you won my support forever. I think it is a good thing that you have flight in your RV as a good mental occupation and that you have a goal of returning to flight. That doesn't mean you care any less about your family just that a person has their own needs for self fulfillment or they become a drag on themselves and everyone around them. I look forward to some time in the future when you come back to this thread and say that you are back as solo PIC. When that happens I hope you consider joining us in cross country air racing. At least one in the group is flying with another pilot in his airplane until his medical issue is cleared. See the schedule under "Calendar of Events" at www.sportairrace.org.

Bob Axsom

Last edited:
Three years ago . . .

Three years ago, I too found myself in an 'interesting' situation as my doctor told me that I had prostate cancer. Today I am flying as PIC on my employer's G-IV and G-450 with a special issuance first class medical certificate. The Feds were actually quite reasonable. I used www. virtualflightsurgeons.com. paid for by my employer. They were great, but an experienced AME can likely handle it for you.

Did I have to jump through some hoops? Yes.

Did I like it? No.

Was it worth it? And how!

I personally know two professional pilots who went through heart ablations and (after jumping through some hoops) got their first class medicals back.

Best to You,

Bill

Add me to the 'Me Too' list

JJ,

Sorry to hear of your introduction to EMTs. I experienced something that was, ultimately, much less of an issue. It tore me up before I found out things were fine. I'll dip a wing and add a prayer. You will fly, again, I'm sure.

I am humbly grateful for your service to my country and my family.

Wishing you my very best,
Michael

My Promise...

To all my fellow flyer's (or Phlyer's to us Phantom guys ;) -Bob A.) who have been so kind as to respond to my initial post, both via personal posts and on forum, let me express my sincere thanks for all the encouragement, sympathy and advice you have provided. Today has been day 5 since my 'heart event' and to say the least, it has been tough. But through you and the support of my wife, family and friends, navigation has been mostly VFR so far.

Five days ago my personal situation was seemingly completely healthy, in shape, fresh stress test in Jul 09 , Class 1 Medical in Aug 09, USAF retirement Oct 09, new job Nov 09...no history of any problems and smooth sailing. Wednesday I was sitting at my desk at work and suddenly felt a 'bump' in my chest and started to black out. Like an idiot and probably in denial, I made a bad yet common decision and drove myself to my primary care physician, a 30 mile drive. This is quite stupid and unfortunately quite common for us pilots to do. We either hope it isn't really serious or don't want anyone else to know??? CALL 911 AND GET PROFESSINAL HELP! I know I will next time! As soon as I got to my doctor's clinic, he put me on an EKG, saw that I was showing 41 beats per minute pulse rate and HE CALLED 911 and I got my ambulance ride anyway. By the time of my surgery and pace maker implant the next day, my heart had 'fixed' itself to a normal pulse rate but the history had already been written. In spite of all tests completed Wednesday evening and Thursday showing a completely normal healthy heart and arteries, since the 'partial block' due to the electrical problem had manifested itself, I am now a heart decease patient and must have a heart pacer and, from the FAA view point, my Class 1 medical is void and I must apply for a Special Issuance medical. Apply being the key word because, first, I must wait a minimum of 60 days to begin the application process, then must submit to a myriad of tests and forms to be sent to the FAA for approval. Their approval.

Yes, I'm going to do it.

My promise is I will report on this forum the process I go through and the timeline it all happens and the eventual outcome. What I have learned is in general, we homebuilders are in the 'seasoned' years of our lives and I think one reason for all the gracious out pouring I have received is because we all know, "By the Grace of God go I"--this could be me, or you. And yes, it kinda sucks and can be depressing, but, as has been wonderfully pointed out in your great previous posts, not the end of the world, or necessarily flying. In my case, I do hold a job that demands a minimum of a 2nd Class medical and tomorrow I will speak with my employer who will give me my options. I am thankful for my USAF retirement check knowing whatever the outcome, I won't be destitute or going broke, something else I am very grateful for knowing that many with the same conditions do not have this to fall back on.

But more than anything else, I know I will remember, and hopefully you all already know, that we pilots are bound by a passion that transcends most other hobbies, sports or jobs, that is one of flying and to fly. We love it, I love it. And I find that I tend to like and be associated with others who share my passion. And these last few days, while hard, and painful (Yes, the implant operation does hurt!), they have been an incredible, grounding, growing experience that has brought out the best in you and hopefully in me, and it will continue....I promise.

To those who have thanked me for my service to our country, thanks and continue to do so by remembering those that still serve. They are having a tough go of it these days!

Tailwinds,

Last edited:
Interesting health update for you acro flyers!

I currently am being seen by two cardiologists. They openly admit that the electrical workings of the heart are more theory than science. A theory they have on my condition is that the 4,000+ hours and 20+ years of constant hi G force activity from USAF fighter type maneuvers (I have not mentioned the concurrent 2,100 hours and 33 years of general aviation flying involving aerobatics in my RV's and YAK ;)) does indeed create tiny tears in the walls of the heart which rapidly heal but leave behind scar tissue. They feel it is possible that these tiny scars, built up over time, can effectively 'block' an electrical path making the electrical current seek another path, thereby creating an adverse effect on the intended purpose of the electrical signal. In my case, suddenly creating a 'stage two' block and slowing down my pulse rate. A pacemaker is an effective and necessary device for this ailment.

Time will tell, but it appears so far that a special issuance medical should be possible in the future. We'll see. But thought this information, while theoretical, might be interesting. And to caveat, when I am talking about G forces in my USAF career, I'm talking about sustained G's between the 5-9 G regime, not like I experience during RV pleasure aerobatics, 2-4 Gs max. Even though with my current state, i am thinking twice about that too, given the opportunity!

Tailwinds,

Back