What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Yaw damper for 12?

E. D. Eliot

Well Known Member
Noticed that Dynon has announced an update that includes software inclusion for a yaw damper. Don't know the details as to how it would apply to RV-12 set up. Looks like this improvement may require some additional metal work, etc, in order to work.

Just wondering if this would be a good idea for installation into the 12? If so, how do we get the bracketing, etc? Will Van's make a kit? Obviously, I have no idea as to what would be required but I am very interested.

Your thoughts---

IMHO, not needed. Also, you would need to have a closed-loop rudder cable system and/or an active rudder trim tab??

I have found that by keeping one's feet on the rudder pedals during cruise (as opposed to being flat-footed on the floor) the yaw tendency is reduced.

Last edited:
The 12 "dances" in yaw quite a bit when flown in turbulence. I don't know what aspect of the design causes this but its prevalent.

I find the RV-12 quite comfortable in turbulence. Maybe it's the seating position, but I seldom feel that I'm being bounced around much. It's more like the plane is moving in all three axes around me. Can't see any need for a yaw damper.

I instructed an airline pilot one time for a tail dragger add on. He had forgotten thirty years ago what his feet were for. And he had size 14 shoes. That was a challenge. In the 12... just use your feet to tame any yaw. You will appreciate the calm days... and have less hardware to maintain.
Now, altitude hold.... different story.

In turbulence on auto pilot I rest my feet on the rudder pedals which eliminates the tendency to hunt in yaw.

Back