What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Stainless steel tape

FutureRV

It was recommended that I tape my leading edge of my flaps with stainless steel tape. This will help prevent scratches in the paint.
Any recommendations of tape type and place to pirchase?

Thanks,
David
RV-7

I used the 3m paint protection film. It has worked well. However, it requires some sort of lubrucant before first use, wax, silicone spray, something. As installed it wanted to stick to the top skin. Once i put some silicone spray on, all has been well since.

I use the PPF on the flap and the UHMW tape under the overhang on the wing. Two years and 300 hrs still looks good with no visible wear.

Thank you all for the information. Will figure out what will work best for me.
All good advice. Love this site.
Aloha

Are you looking for aluminum tape? Like this:
https://www.flyboyaccessories.com/3M-Scotch-Linered-Foil-Tape-p/2405.htm

Or another options is 3M PPF (Paint Protection Film):
https://www.flyboyaccessories.com/Paint-Protection-Film-p/2301.htm

Finally, there's UHMW tape:
https://shop.vansaircraft.com/cgi-bin/shop.cgi?ident=1563724756-6-180&browse=misc&product=uhmwtape

I'm using PPF. It's holding up great & barely visible.

What width did you use for the PPF tape?
Thanks,
David

Marking Question

I was planning on using markings on the tape to indicate degree of flap extension.

Which one of the tape options would be best for marking / painting / other?

I was planning on using markings on the tape to indicate degree of flap extension.

Not sure that's really necessary with a little practice looking at the flaps. And you don't need a whole lot of precision on the flap deflection, either.

I have manual flaps. I can reach back with my right hand and feel what detent the flaps are in.

Teflon tape

I used Teflon tape on the underside of the overhang and nothing on the flaps. No problems to report after 5 years and 600 hours.

David,
I used the clear protector like the 3M product mentioned above applied to the leading edge of the flap. Then applied a strip of felt to the underside of the wing skin. Spruce sells 1 1/2" felt adhesive backed. Been flying the aircraft for 3 yrs and no scratches.

I have the UHMW tape and put sharpie marks at each flap setting before first flight, mainly for quick indication during phase 1 flight test. Did not expect marks to last very long. 13 years later and 900 hours and the marks are still visible and I use them them to verify flap position still. I vary when I put in second notch of flaps depending on pattern entry and speed (I have a fixed pitch prop so need more attention to speed reduction) so quick check when turning final let’s me know how many clicks I got to get full flaps by the time I cross the fence. I like steep approaches on final so gives me decision point to slip, add/pull power, or add that extra notch of flaps if I have it.

Back