What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Cheap GPS

DaAV8R

Well Known Member
Bendix King is discontinuing the AV8OR gps. The street price for the small unit is currently $150.00 and the larger Ace is about $375.00. Spruce is expecting their last shipment Aug. 9th. Chief had the little units in stock. Hard to go wrong for $150.00.

Get em while their hot!

Last edited:
Are they discontinuing the ACE model as well? Their website still lists the ACE at an MSRP of $1995. That seems like a long way from $375... If this is a discontinuation of the product line I'm thinking this is a great value, IF they will continue to honour the warranty, and IF database updates will continue to be available. This is the real stinger for those who fly Lowrance GPS products - the databases went the way of the dodo pretty darned quickly.

Are they discontinuing the ACE model as well? Their website still lists the ACE at an MSRP of $1995. That seems like a long way from $375... If this is a discontinuation of the product line I'm thinking this is a great value, IF they will continue to honour the warranty, and IF database updates will continue to be available. This is the real stinger for those who fly Lowrance GPS products - the databases went the way of the dodo pretty darned quickly.

$375 at Aircraft Spruce:

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/avpages/av80r.php

I wonder if they are coming out with a replacement for it? Hard to believe they would discontinue it without a successor. Havent heard anything about a successor though other than they announced a iPad app at Oshkosh. Wonder if the tablet apps/garmin aera series/Ifly GPSs really cut into their sales and that is why they discontinued it? They sure had a head start on the touch screen gps over everyone else. Too bad they couldnt have built on their lead and really made the AV8OR line into a great GPS series.

Thats a really good price for that device. Heck, for $375 I might get one with a dashboard mount and put it in my truck. Then I can feel like I'm flying to my destination if I want to.

So if you buy one of these, how long could you realistically use it before it becomes a paper weight? Are the data bases updated fairly frequently?

For $150 I'm thinking that if I get a good years worth of use then it's certainly worth it.

So if you buy one of these, how long could you realistically use it before it becomes a paper weight? Are the data bases updated fairly frequently?

For $150 I'm thinking that if I get a good years worth of use then it's certainly worth it.

My experience is that handheld GPS's last for 5-10 years if properly cared for. Database updates? Who knows. Once the product is dropped, all bets are off. The good thing is that airports don't usually move very far, although identifiers change from time to time.

My AV8OR should be in tomorrow. My discontinued Lowrance Airmap 500 has exhibited display issues the last year or so plus the AV8OR offers beaucoup more.

Database updates will be whatever happens.

I was just looking at the discontinued AV8OR Ace for $350 at Spruce and the iFlyGPS 720. I'm looking to replace my Lowrance 2000C that just crapped out on me yesterday. My problem is my panel location requires a portrait mode. iFly says they will have a software upgrade to enable portrait mode vs landscape. in the next few weeks. This would allow me to connect ADS-B. AV8OR ACE sells for $350, but discontinued vs iFly, $750 but is new technology. I liked the 2000c but Lowrance abandoned us all & I don't like the idea of a company selling off their discontinued & not supported product.

Good points Dan but I knew it was discontinued when I bought it. For $150 I have a far better GPS unit than my Airmap 500. I still have my GNS 430W that I can update the database for TBD years.

In your case, the iFly is likely the better purchase.

Last edited:
Good points Dan but I knew it was discontinued when I bought it. For $150 I have a far better GPS unit than my Airmap 500. I still have my GNS 430W that I can update the database for TBD years.

Yes, I hear you. I'm not sure whether I just want to go cheap here. The AV8OR ACE is a much better unit for the price, than what I had & I'm not sure whether I want to commit to getting ADS-B at this time with the iFlyGps. The Dynon skyview is on my wish list but I''m not ready to make a whole new panel investment.

ADS-B?

Since its got bluetooth, I wonder if any of the new ADS-B receivers are compatible with it.

My AV8or has arrived. A very impressive little box for $150.00. Does anyone know if any of the ADS-B boxes are compatible with this display?

AV80R

I went through three of them, all defective units when they first came out. Finally gave up on them. Make sure of the return policy before you buy.

Out of stock

Chief's is now out of stock for the small unit. I ordered one this morning and just got an e-mail saying they expect some in on the 16th and will send me mine then.

Great deal and worth the buck and a half even if it only lasts a few years!:D

I just purchased an av8or ace today from Gulf Coast Avionics. They now have 2 left. I work 15 minutes away so I just stopped in to pick it up.
Aircraft Spruce is out completely and they received an email this morning from Honeywell stating they are out and will not restock. If you want one & can find one, I suggest you do it now.

Sun light viewing?

I just purchased an av8or ace today from Gulf Coast Avionics. They now have 2 left. I work 15 minutes away so I just stopped in to pick it up.
Aircraft Spruce is out completely and they received an email this morning from Honeywell stating they are out and will not restock. If you want one & can find one, I suggest you do it now.

How good is the sunlight visibility?

How good is the sunlight visibility?

Average at best.

After playing with the Ace model, I should have just bought the lesser model for $150. I only need it to drive my AP.

My Lowrance 2000C was a much better unit. Being spoiled by my iPad, the touchscreen on this unit is terrible. You better load your flight plan on the ground because navigating through it in flight would be dangerous. I guess this is why it's been discontinued. I can always use it in the car later.

Last edited:
Self Test Failed

Anyone else having trouble with their new AV8OR handheld? Mine worked for about a day and a half and now I get a "Self Test Failed" with an X on Navigation Databases. I emailed customer support a few days ago with no response and I am currently on the phone waiting for the next customer service rep. I've been waiting for over 2 hours. This is worse than calling my cellphone company to get something done.

Mine works great!

Been using mine for a couple of weeks. Works well and I am very satisfied with it so far. Simple to use and you can see it in the sunlight reasonably well. I put mine in the back seat for my wife to use and she loves it. You can't beat the price!

Been using mine for a couple of weeks. Works well and I am very satisfied with it so far. Simple to use and you can see it in the sunlight reasonably well. I put mine in the back seat for my wife to use and she loves it. You can't beat the price!

Once I got over the touchpad not matching the iPad interface, I'm ok with it.
I've built a sub panel that enables me to use their supplied mount and able to remove it for auto use when traveling.

BTW, I was using it without a remote antenna and it had a very strong signal.

Anyone else having trouble with their new AV8OR handheld? Mine worked for about a day and a half and now I get a "Self Test Failed" with an X on Navigation Databases. I emailed customer support a few days ago with no response and I am currently on the phone waiting for the next customer service rep. I've been waiting for over 2 hours. This is worse than calling my cellphone company to get something done.

I called them for my free db update & they authorized it immediately.

Update

I emailed them and got the update added before I got the error messages. I haven't used it yet as I want to see if they are going to repair or replace my AV8OR first.
Over 2 hours on the phone and I gave up. I'll have to try again when I have all day to kill on the phone.

Back