What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Carb heat and Throttle controls

dave4754

Well Known Member
I am installing a throttle control in my RV 7 and mixture control.

I had made a good score on two cables from an auction, both Vernier, and locking mechanism.

The throttle is locking with a push button release, have any of you ever seen a throttle used like this? Normally it is the friction variety and I'm a little concerned that the "locking" aspect on the throttle could get in the way during a need for quick action on the throttle. Any ideas on this?

The mixture control cable routed great and right up to the point of attaching to the carb, there it is about 2 inches two short. Arg! Has anyone ever replaced the cable ONLY in a Vernier control? Can it be done? Should it be done.

Can Vernier systems be taken apart?

The fix to these problems is about 600 Canadian, shipping included so all opinions welcome. Thanks

Dave C

Vernier throttles can be a problem for quick response situations like formation flying or instant go-arounds. I have one in a Piper Comanche and it has been fine but as a rule RVs seem to lend themselves to friction push-pull for the throttle circuit. I have heard of some formation check pilots who don't like to fly with newbies who have vernier throttles.

Vernier throttles are not permitted in most formation groups. It could be a good choice for your mixture (#1), or your prop control (#2).

Thanks guys

I searched around and found a few good threads on this. Thanks for the input I am going to buy the new Mcfarlane I think.

Still wondering how I could just get another wire into my mixture. Darn cables are expensive new.

Anyone looking for a couple Vernier cables?

Back