What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rollbar and Interior Painting

JDA_BTR

Well Known Member
I've just finished section 32, and am staring at the sentence "now is a good time to paint the interior". It all looks so good in AKZO green I wonder.....

Anyway, I'll need to paint the roll bar and the top ledge of the cockpit later on. Is there any pitfall to installing the rollbar before the section 35 work? Same question for the canopy deck installation of page 35-11? I'm pretty sure the brake installation and flap/aileron sections can come safely after these parts. I don't want to install all of section 35 without the rudder/brake work done because I don't want to paint around all that gear.

In the past I've gotten myself in a corner doing things out of order because of a sequencing problem I didn't forsee.....

I know I'm not a -14 guy, but why paint the interior? Mine is Akzo and will remain Akzo on the inside on purpose (tho truth in advertising, I have a military exterior scheme planned).

More interior paint is just weight, and if you do side panels, carpet etc, what's gonna be seen.....or opposite thought, just beautify those areas that you wont be covering in someway....

interior paint

i cant remeber all the section numbers....i painted the fwd part of the interior( fwd of the main spar) after attaching the empenage but before installing all the brake pedals and before shooting on the fwd upper fuse skin. After shooting the instrument panel structure together i primed and painted it before installing it into the aircraft(because its hard to paint all sides of the structure). After installing the instrument panel structure and the upper fuselage decks(along the sides where the canopy closes onto) and also after finishing the baggage area I painted the rest of the interior. After installing the roll over structure i masked everthing off and sprayed it. I thought alot about the best order to paint everything. I didnt want to see any blend areas in my paint. Also i didnt want to have to repaint after riveting on the upper fuse decks. if u give me your email or phone number i can9 email or text u pics to better understand the order.

Have you figured out what you are going to do?

I am at the same point and am debating the same thing. I think that I might complete the elevator section first, then paint the interior, then install and paint the roller section.

I need to look at the plans a bit more before pulling the trigger.

ken

So I ended up with $30 of material from HD and made a plastic box in my shop to paint in; typical with a filter on one side, and a filter/box fan blowing out the barn door. they have this awesome plastic film 4x10' that easily stretches out over the fuselage and the static makes it stick while you get ready to tape it down. Masked off everything but the forward cabin and shot the paint.

I did brush the little pieces on the firewall for the heater flaps and for the bracket I made for the parking brake. Its okay for little things but would look just awful if I had painted the interior that way.

Apparently I am still at the same point as you are. It just got warm enough to paint. Well I was told that it needed to be at least 50 F to paint. Here is a picture of the "paint booth". I pushed the paint up to the back of a smaller paint booth and then built a bigger temporary booth around most of the plane.

I plan to assemble the roller next, paint all the pieces, and then put in place. I will post more pictures when I get it done.

I put 2 coats on the vertical surfaces and 3 coats on the horizontal areas that will see the most wear.

Hey guys, this plus the fiberglass fairing work are the two most concerning steps to the build process for me.

What brand/type paint are you using and how are you applying it? Also, is that just battleship gray?

Do you have any additional pics?

I'm using Restoration Shop "Mesa Grey" single stage polyurethane. It shoots and reminds me of PPG DCC and I like it a lot.

Last edited:
Back