What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Alternative Pitch Servo Placement?

Xkuzme1

Well Known Member
I have been sitting on a Altrak altitude hold for quite some time. Not super excited to get in the extremely compromising position that will be required to drill out the bell crank mount in the tail. Also not excited to drill out perfectly good rivets and replace them.

Has anyone successfully mounted a pitch trim servo in another place? I considered underneath the back seat, and making a strap to the torque tube. I also considered making a mount in front of the bell crank.

Not just for laziness, but also trying hard to keep my cig as forward as possible. Not excited about mounting a 3 pound servo so far back.

Thoughts?

Thanks.

X

Last edited:
Why?

Why are you even bothering to fit it ?

The 4 set up properly is a very stable platform and will fly hands off with no issues it is an aeroplane that is best kept light and simple.

As you have probably guessed I would never put this on my 4 I enjoy flying the aeroplane too much.

Just did it this week!

Installing a Trutrak, for a buddy, in his RV-4. Rubbed the skin off of my elbows and knees. Installed the Pitch and Roll servos per plans -- the pitch servo is a bear to get to. I drilled out the rivets and installed the new brackets using -3 bolts. I am 77 yrs old, and yes, it is a nasty job, but I suggest you install per plans, rather than trying to reinvent the wheel.

Working on the wiring now.

Have fun!

Ron

It's more about managing fatigue on long flights. I'm confident that I can hold altitude if I have too.

Yea, I'll probably do it "the right way", but was interested if anyone had successfully skinned this cat in a different manor.

X

It could be worked out. There are many RV6s flying around with the roll servo not mounted in the wing and connected to the bell crank as is the now standard location. The servo was mounted under the seat with a direct connection to the base of the stick.

If you mount the pitch servo in a manner to the torque tube, the arm on the servo might need to be longer to accept the increased travel of the tube.
I think this can be done. Just make sure that if anything that can break or fall off can't bind on the torque tube.

Mount in front of elevator bell crank

I mounted a GRT pitch servo in front of elevator bell crank and behind lower rear baggage compartment bulkhead.

Brad

Back