What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Engine Recommendations

boearl

Well Known Member
Patron
Any recommendations on an engine for a RV10. I'm leaning towards purchasing an engine from Van's, but thought I'd see what others have found. Many Thanks, Ken

Barrett Precision Engines

I went with a BPE IO540 with 9:1, cold air induction, full dual EFII, billet rocker covers, and Reiff preheat system.

It did 290 hp on the dyno. Great customer service! Highly recommended.

I also went with an engine from BPE. Mine is relatively stock.

That said, there are several good options out there. Aerosport, a new engine from Vans, Thunderbolt, etc. I don't remember any serious complaints from people who used one of those options.

Engine

You need to consider whether you are going to customize the engine or go with a stock setup. If you buy from Van?s, you will get what they sell. BPE built mine exactly the way I wanted. I think Thunderbolt has some options available. I found the Aerosport engine significantly more expensive than the others I compared with...

Engine(s)

Adding my thoughts;

I have 743 hours on my Rv10 with a BPE "new" totally rebuilt engine, AWC 10-2010. The Barrett family are all great folks, better than family. BPE is rock solid with 2 generations of real actual experience. Allen or Rhonda are always available and straight shooters. I originally had cooling issues with my Sam James cowl/plenum, but I solved this and love the looks of the Sam James cowl. My cooling was not a BPE issue, but I did get my cylinder heads and oil hot until I solved and now I'm almost too cool on CHT and oil.

However, I have always thought "we experimental" types should have alternative engines for experimental aircraft that are safe, reliable, affordable to purchase and operate with premium, diesel 1 or jet fuel. Maybe this is just a dream and there is no way to actually get there, I don't really know for sure. I think very few are actually smart enough, have the time, have the financial ability, tenacity and/or willing to put themselves out there and try. It's so much easier to do little and criticize much.

That being said, there have been many attempts (I sincerely applaud all) but too many failures and far too fatalities. I love flying, but I love life and living.

My first Rv I built was a 7a, AWC 9-07, and I was going to "wait" and install the "new" Delta Diesel. My friend Jason Smith of Aerotronics in Billings MT, who built both of my dashes, told me I should go ahead and get a "regular" Lycoming engine because this engine my take awhile. I'm so glad I acted on his advise because I got my IFR ticket in '08 and flew 690 wonderful hours in my 7a before I sold it 11-11.

I admire Christian Skoppe of Diemech for his persistence to develop his turbine install in his Rv10. Awesome and thank you Chris!

I do have an escrow deposit for the "new" designed Adept Airmotive engine built in South Africa. South Africa "FAA" has just released all Ravin 500's to fly again after a fatal accident of a Ravin with a Lycoming engine. S.A. grounded the entire aircraft fleet until investigation was complete. I'm cautiously optimistic about this engine development. It does have an oiled/bearings jackshaft designed and built into the engine block for the redrive.

Peter Muller is working hard on a new aircraft and engine. The engine he has selected is an Audi 3.0 diesel, 2 compound turbo's with a belted redrive of his own design. If the engine works, the benefits would be for all experimental airframe builders. Peter has designed a ballistic chute into his airframe, so this may ease a fatal accident scenario in the event of engine failure.

I love my Rv10 and our Rv community. I marvel in all the innovative and creative idea's, the cottage industry which has developed, with great products over the years because of this community. Thank you Doug Reeves! Awesome people and companies with innovative products that have allowed us ALL to make our airplane safer, more luxurious, cool, nice, easier to work on and maybe, just maybe an engine will come along and be a game changer. I'm an optimist.

Be safe and enjoy the journey.

Kenny Gene
Wichita Kansas area
Rv7a-AWC 9-07 680 hours sold 11-11
Rv10-AWC 10-10 743 hours, flying and Living The Dream (LTD)

Engine(s)

Adding my thoughts;

I have 743 hours on my Rv10 with a BPE "new" totally rebuilt engine, AWC 10-2010. The Barrett family are all great folks, better than family. BPE is rock solid with 2 generations of real actual experience. Allen or Rhonda are always available and straight shooters. I originally had cooling issues with my Sam James cowl/plenum, but I solved this and love the looks of the Sam James cowl. My cooling was not a BPE issue, but I did get my cylinder heads and oil hot until I solved and now I'm almost too cool on CHT and oil.

However, I have always thought "we experimental" types should have alternative engines for experimental aircraft that are safe, reliable, affordable to purchase and operate with premium, diesel 1 or jet fuel. Maybe this is just a dream and there is no way to actually get there, I don't really know for sure. I think very few are actually smart enough, have the time, have the financial ability, tenacity and/or willing to put themselves out there and try. It's so much easier to do little and criticize much.

That being said, there have been many attempts (I sincerely applaud all) but too many failures and far too fatalities. I love flying, but I love life and living.

My first Rv I built was a 7a, AWC 9-07, and I was going to "wait" and install the "new" Delta Diesel. My friend Jason Smith of Aerotronics in Billings MT, who built both of my dashes, told me I should go ahead and get a "regular" Lycoming engine because this engine my take awhile. I'm so glad I acted on his advise because I got my IFR ticket in '08 and flew 690 wonderful hours in my 7a before I sold it 11-11.

I admire Christian Skoppe of Diemech for his persistence to develop his turbine install in his Rv10. Awesome and thank you Chris!

I do have an escrow deposit for the "new" designed Adept Airmotive engine built in South Africa. South Africa "FAA" has just released all Ravin 500's to fly again after a fatal accident of a Ravin with a Lycoming engine. S.A. grounded the entire aircraft fleet until investigation was complete. I'm cautiously optimistic about this engine development. It does have an oiled/bearings jackshaft designed and built into the engine block for the redrive.

Peter Muller is working hard on a new aircraft and engine. The engine he has selected is an Audi 3.0 diesel, 2 compound turbo's with a belted redrive of his own design. If the engine works, the benefits would be for all experimental airframe builders. Peter has designed a ballistic chute into his airframe, so this may ease a fatal accident scenario in the event of engine failure.

I love my Rv10 and our Rv community. I marvel in all the innovative and creative idea's, the cottage industry which has developed, with great products over the years because of this community. Thank you Doug Reeves! Awesome people and companies with innovative products that have allowed us ALL to make our airplane safer, more luxurious, high tech, cool, nice, easier to work on and maybe, just maybe an engine will come along and be a game changer. I'm an optimist.

Be safe and enjoy the journey.

Kenny Gene
Wichita Kansas area
Rv7a-AWC 9-07 680 hours sold 11-11
Rv10-AWC 10-10 743 hours, flying and Living The Dream (LTD)

I went with a BPE IO540 with 9:1, cold air induction, full dual EFII, billet rocker covers, and Reiff preheat system.

It did 290 hp on the dyno. Great customer service! Highly recommended.

Couldn?t agree more. I would never have a Lycoming or Continental build by anyone else. Period.

Another upvote for BPE.

Does BPE find a core for buyers or build new from ground up?

I am looking at std 8.5 pistons with EFII\SDS system for fuel injection and ignition. Not sure of the cost effectiveness of buying an engine from Vans and modifying it myself or having BPE or Aerosport or possibly even Continental build one for me in this configuration? Anybody have thoughts on this?

Does BPE find a core for buyers or build new from ground up?

I am looking at std 8.5 pistons with EFII\SDS system for fuel injection and ignition. Not sure of the cost effectiveness of buying an engine from Vans and modifying it myself or having BPE or Aerosport or possibly even Continental build one for me in this configuration? Anybody have thoughts on this?

They locate the core. If you have specific needs, let them know in advance. The cases I got are old and didn't have bosses for the LSE crank sensor mount but a call to Klaus and we've got a mod for the mounting plate in the works. That's not a complaint about BPE; it's a beautiful engine. I didn't realize the problem myself until I tried to install the ignition. I'm just saying they can't know what you need unless you tell them.

On the other hand, their support is awesome. When the recent Lycoming service bulletin came out, I checked on my recent build and Rhonda was very quickly able to find the paperwork on the crank and tell me that the components were from Superior, so I can write that one off in my logbook. They've always been great about answering questions both during the build and after. And I got my custom build cheaper than a Thunderbolt. If I had it to do again, I'd definitely go BPE again.

I have nothing bad to say about BPE, I hope that when I get an overhaul that I can get BPE to do it. With that said, I went with a Lycoming Thunderbolt (and I am very happy). Here was my reasoning:

1) BPE (at least 12 months ago) was really overloaded. Communication between us was really lacking. Nothing against them, they were just really hard to get a hold of.

2) Taking (1) into consideration, I never got past the "finding a core" stage. Not to get into specifics, I just felt like that if we did find a core I was going to get the bottom of the barrel because I was low priority. I realize they wouldn't do that because they do really stand by their engines, but that is at least how I felt.

3) Conversely, when I contacted thunderbolt I got a call first thing the next morning asking what I was looking for and we ended up in a 30 minute conversation with my mission needs.

4) Thunderbolt was able to configure the engine how I wanted. Cold Air, 9:1, etc.

5) Thunderbolt did not charge me for things that I did not want. They were true on their timing, they always answered the phone (not that I called them more than twice [for the SB question, and the small hole mounting ear swap out])

6) Since my exact configuration was new to the RV-10, Thunderbolt was nice enough to send Vetterman one of their cold air intakes and specifics in order to get an exhaust built. No questions asked.

7) I am not running/flying yet, but knowing the history of my core and knowing that for the two times I had call them, they happily answered all of my questions. I am happy!

23847259_10214810335391501_3718118794772363682_o%2B%25281%2529.jpg

Comms

As a data point, I have never had an issue contacting BPE. Once I placed a core deposit, I was assigned a core and engine construction was begun. I received a completion date that was acceptable to my time frame, and the engine was delivered on the designated date.

Out of curiosity, was Thunderbolt willing to build with non standard equipment such as EFII? When I talked to them 2 years ago, they would not build it that way, so my choice was easier...

I currently have a Thunderbolt engine on the RV-10, and just turned over 100 hours on it. It is wonderfully smooth. :)
I ditto all of the ocmments here with regards to being responsive. Jeff Schans is super patient and will answer all of your questions and build it exactly how you want it. The cool thing is that it is built by a couple of guys in a really nice shop just off of the production line at the Lycoming factory. I went up and met them. You can read about it in the KitPlanes magazine that was out for Airventure 2017 if you want to see some pictures and more detail.

Vic

Yes, Rhonda found the core for my engine...and the run it on the dyno with the full EFII system...

So I have a question about the "Full EFII system." Has there been any definitive data provided that shows that this system provides better performance than a simpler ignition system (electronic) and standard type of fuel injection (i.e. no fuel return lines or duplex valves)? I'm interested in engine performance (longevity, better HP and lower fuel consumption), but just not sure if this new system, and all its complexity is worth the upfront investment... I would appreciate some education on this system..

Uh, oh...

Well now you've done it! Opened up that can of worms:eek:

I am not flying yet. I knew that I wanted to go with electronic ignition for certain. Mags work, yes, I just think the electronic ignition is better. Not going to argue, it's my opinion, that's all (and just about every other engine manufacturer in the world...do you see any other vehicles using mags?) Maybe it's more about LIABILITY than anything else.

The fuel injection part was a later decision. I'm not sure that it is any more complex than the mechanical system...other than a return line. I guess some guys add a purge line to their mechanical injection so running the return is kind of a moot point.

When I talked to Rhonda and Allen, they both said that the engine starts instantly and is very smooth. As far as performance, well, only time will tell. I am perfectly satisfied with 290 HP, I am more curious about the fuel efficiency.

We will see.

You are bound to get many, many opinions on this subject so sit back and break out the popcorn...

IO540 FROM LY-CON

I installed a used engine with about 700 hr; Ly-Con inspected, top overhauled ported and polished. Included all accessories. Cost << half of new. So far so good after about 100 hr. Just another choice...

Trouble? Broken crank at 417 hours from new. It was what they called a IO371. It was a counter balanced crank with 9.5:1 pistons.

BPE

BPE gets my vote.

As FLION said, let them know what you want. Then discuss your options. Maybe IO540 works for your needs. I think there are a lot more cores available for them. Give them a call, they are great people.

Back