What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV8 BatteryMinder

smithflys23

Well Known Member
I did a search, and saw one thread that referenced a firewall mounted battery. That is not applicable to my situation.

I?m curious to read what you guys have come up with for a battery charging soulution. My battery is mounted behind the rear baggage area, and is enclosed. Meaning, I have not have fabricated a trap door to access it without doing a lot of unscrewing. Any help,is appreciated!

Many ways to do this. Simplest is a standard power jack mounted on the baggage compartment shelf, panel or other convenient spot with a 10 amp breaker wired to the battery(s) or master solenoid(s).

That said, try to never use it. I talked to an RV-14 builder today who just distroyed his third PC-680 battery in two years by using a battery minder. An Odyssey battery retains 90% of its charge sitting idle, so the 1960 concept of trickle charge makes no sense.

My rules for airplane batteries:
- Never charge a battery unless there is a specific reason.
- Never leave a battery charger on a battery unattended. Keep a volt meter on the battery during the charge and remove when terminal voltage gets to 14.3 or so.
- If you run a battery flat, replace it - period. You have damaged it and now do not know what reserve capacity it can provide. Us it in law tractor or such.
- Never run a panel on a battery with a battery charger connected. There are very nice 30 amp power supplies at less than $100 to do this. I have a jumper behind the panel to connect the power supply when I want to run the panel for extended periods of time on the ground. This can also charge the battery just like the alternator if desired.

Carl

+1 on Carl's points. I did put in a trap door for easier access to battery, strobe power pack and ELT. Also ran the Odyssey charge cable thru a grommeted hole for quick plug in if I ever need it.

Rear%20Bag%20Access%20Closed-S.jpg

The batteries in my 10 were behind the baggage bulkhead, I ran a pigtail from each one through the bulkhead with a split rubber grommet to protect the wire.

Bit of velcro to hold the pigtail end up and out of the way finished it off.

I totally support the prior comment about not charging the battery without need.

QoocbsY993vjeufDIsAhwVpUvLVDqo3pSu9D9bvZ8qMXCg6Gxa-tMSprH2IqOUmzm8o2cMinBv474QMHkTY1bT3fhUI_eNQjY24lf9ge_MQck5VLDQmwgVRzOVVhZ3vbDu3fD85tYoN4u-kmg1pytzpjE28rMg7bQ_Wak55pfg4onhAT7oSvkGcpMuPaIMaYSi8Z5h4IGeN9kugecu-d3O5JeYEbziEMzcSs3lZVftg2XbyQ0yvKg9053qJwjTDv-O8VlYgtyaJWdRSOtvpGVzw9aLDEbSAb_wgDKERpc3BX_IjT0khRQBH81uifTsSSYBuhX9ZLcNQLhowlrPsBpXbKvephHp-Ub7XasFlaNqIyh_BeQGRv0--86cWkcDUrW6Suv6OJ9i8kbJFcHJUJ9Byg7I7gKiCqUJ3g97PGRnbHQEC-q7ubHdrplVntVrxXkJeGz7RgUBebB3biscbCgM8nEuJH-TVeBKX2M44TDOpjJGdN_RaV3QpeQjU-J0KLmZCNbYdxqekENOJehcPPaBV4DIG2dO6FQ2nPlkRmkHDoVILWVkKTbM1q_obXkeTRe9Dq68qH1zgB5E6WVokqUUsFhN7oPbgSsSKzOYk=w1179-h884-no

rRHKsRh1nhbdpIbIbozKKOQYM4_HNKb7yp57YQEvoiBCmJ-DoS-4fDEpHXvBCUjHdyw2bTXmctP4BAouLGbvx7yt7WhYur4m1Rd7p-5pa8ysIptxMewikWSaU339zYO78GrJLTtKZxuQ3O9jebVat0tYgcZ9TENlxEPOd6Tba9390TFKVJjT3oCdF1cclEPS4JQK0dBRVErW9JDYVtUBZ0faVlQJhKYw3_qJupAud8--ing29EyRHrG1Bgs_OLp1eEX_Z2EosqrnUQtpJLq964rLR_LI7umi7juXZehbEiqtTQ8uZh2JtC8bj8hLdMgIVj1XEyqbOmkAJj-KndvbNngO0UjiUvlEfE1AjfgvaPirtGCAlQXZCZuHKtfPVDxZu5Kf30Bm_JQL9vJguNqJRcZmlvpbOZ8wyhL872t-yMohjhcvadZeY15mLs_NWXAdjw-wi0HGkbSMKLD0SLii_Y2f0A_HZyeK8v1fL6xLSVIe7D4zgKCvoEWcAEsMtBxV9_TQLvZ58NMP5hHkr0sYExTorkf94EsvuhpkR9SPog3nLpSQJoTmddsFq9uMiaEgfPlSn-C9xEP35-Xoq7T_igPkvPs_o60Xp7AoGuc=w1179-h884-no

+1 on Carl's points. I did put in a trap door for easier access to battery, strobe power pack and ELT. Also ran the Odyssey charge cable thru a grommeted hole for quick plug in if I ever need it.

Rear%20Bag%20Access%20Closed-S.jpg

The trap door is great, I just wish I?d have known about it sooner.
Thanks!

Many ways to do this. Simplest is a standard power jack mounted on the baggage compartment shelf, panel or other convenient spot with a 10 amp breaker wired to the battery(s) or master solenoid(s).

That said, try to never use it. I talked to an RV-14 builder today who just distroyed his third PC-680 battery in two years by using a battery minder. An Odyssey battery retains 90% of its charge sitting idle, so the 1960 concept of trickle charge makes no sense.

My rules for airplane batteries:
- Never charge a battery unless there is a specific reason.
- Never leave a battery charger on a battery unattended. Keep a volt meter on the battery during the charge and remove when terminal voltage gets to 14.3 or so.
- If you run a battery flat, replace it - period. You have damaged it and now do not know what reserve capacity it can provide. Us it in law tractor or such.
- Never run a panel on a battery with a battery charger connected. There are very nice 30 amp power supplies at less than $100 to do this. I have a jumper behind the panel to connect the power supply when I want to run the panel for extended periods of time on the ground. This can also charge the battery just like the alternator if desired.

Carl

My understanding of BatteryMinder, is that it prevents sulfinate? Isn?t that what ruins a battery?

The batteries in my 10 were behind the baggage bulkhead, I ran a pigtail from each one through the bulkhead with a split rubber grommet to protect the wire.

Bit of velcro to hold the pigtail end up and out of the way finished it off.

I totally support the prior comment about not charging the battery without need.

QoocbsY993vjeufDIsAhwVpUvLVDqo3pSu9D9bvZ8qMXCg6Gxa-tMSprH2IqOUmzm8o2cMinBv474QMHkTY1bT3fhUI_eNQjY24lf9ge_MQck5VLDQmwgVRzOVVhZ3vbDu3fD85tYoN4u-kmg1pytzpjE28rMg7bQ_Wak55pfg4onhAT7oSvkGcpMuPaIMaYSi8Z5h4IGeN9kugecu-d3O5JeYEbziEMzcSs3lZVftg2XbyQ0yvKg9053qJwjTDv-O8VlYgtyaJWdRSOtvpGVzw9aLDEbSAb_wgDKERpc3BX_IjT0khRQBH81uifTsSSYBuhX9ZLcNQLhowlrPsBpXbKvephHp-Ub7XasFlaNqIyh_BeQGRv0--86cWkcDUrW6Suv6OJ9i8kbJFcHJUJ9Byg7I7gKiCqUJ3g97PGRnbHQEC-q7ubHdrplVntVrxXkJeGz7RgUBebB3biscbCgM8nEuJH-TVeBKX2M44TDOpjJGdN_RaV3QpeQjU-J0KLmZCNbYdxqekENOJehcPPaBV4DIG2dO6FQ2nPlkRmkHDoVILWVkKTbM1q_obXkeTRe9Dq68qH1zgB5E6WVokqUUsFhN7oPbgSsSKzOYk=w1179-h884-no

rRHKsRh1nhbdpIbIbozKKOQYM4_HNKb7yp57YQEvoiBCmJ-DoS-4fDEpHXvBCUjHdyw2bTXmctP4BAouLGbvx7yt7WhYur4m1Rd7p-5pa8ysIptxMewikWSaU339zYO78GrJLTtKZxuQ3O9jebVat0tYgcZ9TENlxEPOd6Tba9390TFKVJjT3oCdF1cclEPS4JQK0dBRVErW9JDYVtUBZ0faVlQJhKYw3_qJupAud8--ing29EyRHrG1Bgs_OLp1eEX_Z2EosqrnUQtpJLq964rLR_LI7umi7juXZehbEiqtTQ8uZh2JtC8bj8hLdMgIVj1XEyqbOmkAJj-KndvbNngO0UjiUvlEfE1AjfgvaPirtGCAlQXZCZuHKtfPVDxZu5Kf30Bm_JQL9vJguNqJRcZmlvpbOZ8wyhL872t-yMohjhcvadZeY15mLs_NWXAdjw-wi0HGkbSMKLD0SLii_Y2f0A_HZyeK8v1fL6xLSVIe7D4zgKCvoEWcAEsMtBxV9_TQLvZ58NMP5hHkr0sYExTorkf94EsvuhpkR9SPog3nLpSQJoTmddsFq9uMiaEgfPlSn-C9xEP35-Xoq7T_igPkvPs_o60Xp7AoGuc=w1179-h884-no

That?s a good idea! Does the BatteryMinder come with the pigtail, or is that something you buy separately?

My understanding of BatteryMinder, is that it prevents sulfinate? Isn?t that what ruins a battery?

Take to heart the advice to not use a trickle charger with the PC-680. Regardless of whatever chemistry is in play, there is solid field history of AGM batteries dying early due to trickle charging. Fly the plane regularly, leave the charger in the toolbox and you should get excellent service for many years.

My battery charging solution

Because I?m electrically dependent on my aircraft with my alternative engine installation, I need to ensure that both my batteries are always charged. Therefore, I invested in a BatteryMinder charger, specifically for the odyssey batteries, that is capable of charging more than one battery at a time.

http://www.batteryminders.com/batte...-12v-2-4-8-amp-charger-maintainer-desulfator/

I installed two cigarette lighter outlets on the belly of my aircraft near the battery. This is very convenient for plugging the charger into the aircraft. But it has an added bonus. When I?m camping, I can plug my portable electronic devices into the aircraft outlets for charging. Here is my builder log photos of the installation.

http://www.mykitlog.com/users/displ...k&project=211&category=4852&log=148109&row=15

Because I?m electrically dependent on my aircraft with my alternative engine installation, I need to ensure that both my batteries are always charged. Therefore, I invested in a BatteryMinder charger, specifically for the odyssey batteries, that is capable of charging more than one battery at a time.

http://www.batteryminders.com/batte...-12v-2-4-8-amp-charger-maintainer-desulfator/

I installed two cigarette lighter outlets on the belly of my aircraft near the battery. This is very convenient for plugging the charger into the aircraft. But it has an added bonus. When I?m camping, I can plug my portable electronic devices into the aircraft outlets for charging. Here is my builder log photos of the installation.

http://www.mykitlog.com/users/displ...k&project=211&category=4852&log=148109&row=15

Can you explain more about the "more than one battery at a time" with this charger?

Take to heart the advice to not use a trickle charger with the PC-680. Regardless of whatever chemistry is in play, there is solid field history of AGM batteries dying early due to trickle charging. Fly the plane regularly, leave the charger in the toolbox and you should get excellent service for many years.

I agree with Sam in that unless you know the detailed specifics around how the trickle charger works with an AGM battery, best to not use one continuously.

The AGM batteries need a specific charge profile to last. Many of the chargers don't meet this profile. Even the chargers that were being sold by Odyssey at one time do not meet the profile and will kill the battery in a very short time if not used properly.

I’ve had a Battery Minder since first flight and have plugged my airplane into it after every flight (except when away from home).

8 years flying and about 2 months ago I installed my 3rd battery - Concord.

So it appears I am getting about 3.5 - 4 years out of my batteries.

I change my battery out when I don’t like how the “Start” goes, if I feel the prop isn’t spinning quick enough when I hit the button, I change it out. I just don’t want to deal with a weak or dead battery away from home.

My charger is approved by Concorde and AGM batteries.

Like another post, I have a hole and a grommet in my rear baggage shelf for quick and easy access.

It sounds like the general consensus is not to use a BatteryMinder. What do you use to recharge if your battery is run down from working on electrical issues?

Each of my planes have two PC-625 batteries in them, and I never use any kind of battery minder.

I replace one battery every three years (so no battery is more than six years old). Not because of a problem, just cheap insurance to make sure I have my design reserve battery capacity for my glass panels.

One of these pulled six year old batteries has been in the law tractor for the last three years. It sits all winter long and starts up the tractor in the spring like it was run the day before.

My point, battery minders are not required or desired when using Odyssey batteries.

Carl

It sounds like the general consensus is not to use a BatteryMinder. What do you use to recharge if your battery is run down from working on electrical issues?

I think you are slightly off the mark, the unit is fine for recharging a run down battery, the problem seems to be when leaving it on for long periods to "maintain" the battery.

I’ve had a Battery Minder since first flight and have plugged my airplane into it after every flight (except when away from home).

8 years flying and about 2 months ago I installed my 3rd battery - Concord.

So it appears I am getting about 3.5 - 4 years out of my batteries.

I change my battery out when I don’t like how the “Start” goes, if I feel the prop isn’t spinning quick enough when I hit the button, I change it out. I just don’t want to deal with a weak or dead battery away from home.

My charger is approved by Concorde and AGM batteries.

Like another post, I have a hole and a grommet in my rear baggage shelf for quick and easy access.

I wonder how much longer your batteries would have lasted without the constant trickle charging. :)

It isn't unusual for a regularly flown but non-trickle charged AGM battery to last 6-8 years.

I think you are slightly off the mark, the unit is fine for recharging a run down battery, the problem seems to be when leaving it on for long periods to "maintain" the battery.

O.K, that sounds fair. In your opinion, Is the BatteryMinder the best choice for a rundown battery, or should I look for something different?

O.K, that sounds fair. In your opinion, Is the BatteryMinder the best choice for a rundown battery, or should I look for something different?

Go back and read my post (#2 on this thread) on rules on charging. What charger makes little difference (within reason).

For an abused battery (e.g. left the master on and it is flat) the best choice is replacement. It?s reserve capacity is now an unknown quantity - so should not be in an airplane that has dependency on electrical power.

For extended panel running, bite the bullet and get a real power supply like this: https://www.dxengineering.com/searc...899+402140&sortby=Default&sortorder=Ascending

You can use this for battery charging while you are running the panel as well - just set the output voltage between 13.8 and 14.2vdc - whatever your alternator puts out for your battery.

Carl

I wonder how much longer your batteries would have lasted without the constant trickle charging. :)

It isn't unusual for a regularly flown but non-trickle charged AGM battery to last 6-8 years.

Thats what I?m thinking now. But I wanted to get my data out on this tread since I know how consistent I have been using the battery minder.

When I lived in NY I thought it was a good idea in the winter cold.

Maybe change is in order....

Can you explain more about the "more than one battery at a time" with this charger?

Hi Brian. Check out the literature that I referenced for the BatteryMinder that I purchased. A feature of the maintainer is the ability to maintain up to eight batteries with a Y-connector accessory.

Back