What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Receiving quick build fuselage & wings

bomber_JB

I'm due to receive RV-10 quick build fuselage & wings in about 7-8 days. It's coming by Partain Trading Co. contracted to Stewart Transport. Truck will be a full size semi truck/trailer with a crane mounted in roof of trailer.

Fuselage & wings are not crated.

Need some insight into this method of delivery. Driver will assist but that probably means he operates the crane only. Is that correct?

If driver operates crane will two people be enough to maneuver these items?

I'm thinking I need to premake wing slings/racks and fuselage racks (with wheels) to go straight from truck (crane) to racks and then wheel into hanger.

Van's is closed at the moment so I can't ask them but are there some designs (pictures or drawings) of the wing slings/racks and fuselage racks I can use?

Would appreciate any insight from those that have traveled this path before me.

Thanks,

Jerry

The driver helped unload when my fuse was delivered. There was no crane.

The wings can be carried by 2 people, but the fuse is pretty heavy to carry very far for 2 people. Access to a wheeled dolly at curbside is a good idea. There was a thread earlier this week where I posted a picture of the dolly I used on my QB. That would be a good start.

Delivery

I received my QB wings and fuselage from Partain. Definitely build the wing cradles before they get there. Search the forums and you will find drawings and dimensions. The cradle I built holds both swings and it is on casters so I can move them around.

The fuselage will be heavy. They packed all the rest of the kit INSIDE the QB fuselage, I found that two guys would have a difficult time managing it. You could either unpack it or get a couple extra guys. I also made a rolling cart to set it on.

The driver also helped me unload but there was no crane. It was delivered via an enclosed trailer with a fold down ramp.

Make ABSOLUTELY sure that there is no damage before you sign the BOL. if there IS damage, note it and take lots of pictures. Hopefully, there won?t be any but...

The Partain driver helped me bring the fuse into the garage, but his truck overhead hoist was broken. We drove around looking for a new parts for his hoist, but we ended up offloading it by hand. I wouldn't recommend what we did (take the fuse off the truck by hand with two guys), but once things are out of the truck two guys are enough to move things around. We did unpack the fuse before we moved it.

The driver that delivered mine was more than helpful, careful, and not in a hurry. He had a hoist that he used to lower the parts. The fuselage was moved using a flat cart and we just carried the wings, they were manageable.

Definitely agree with the posts above. Building the wing cradles beforehand was a must! I built a rolling stand for the fuselage but I ended up not using it. The fuselage came on a high quality pallet that I just reused as my fuselage stand by installing large caster wheels on the bottom of the pallet.

The driver will have a carpet covered cart that we used to roll the fuselage down my driveway. It was easiest to just have 2 people carry the wings to the wing cradle.

If you can get a couple guys to help you with the unload that is ideal. If you're on your own the driver was so nice that he was happy to have helped out more.
I would give him a tip depending upon the level of extra moving work he helps you with.

When everything is at your house you'll be excited to jump right in and start building but spend the first week or two fully inspecting every step of the QB kits and inventory all of the parts you receive. It will save you a lot of time down the road.

The driver will have a carpet covered cart that we used to roll the fuselage down my driveway.

It is probably worth contacting the driver before you make any assumptions. My fuse didn't come on any sort of pallet and the driver didn't have a padded cart.

Partain delivered my QB kits via Stewart Transport in a Factory Five trailer with a crane. The driver, Don Furr, was very helpful; he had a large rolling dolly and got his truck much closer to my house than expected. It was in the middle of a ice storm and the road & driveway were solid ice, but we covered the parts in plastic and got everything in ok. The Factory Five trailer inspired some jest amongst my crew. One said "Looks like you got the wrong delivery!" I answered "Fine by me; I'd love a Factory Five Cobra. Instead of getting my engine from Barrett, I'll get it from Roush!"
Kind of odd now that I think of it... my QB kits were delivered in freezing rain; I drove through freezing rain enroute to Barrett for my engine... and today on the way to Whirl Wind in OH to pick up my prop, I drove through freezing rain. God's telling me it'll be a cold day in **** when I finish my RV-8. So.... bundle up down there!

Last edited:
Welcome

Jerry
Welcome and congratulations.
I manage a Google Group of Vans Builders/Owners in an around Colorado (also a few outside). Currently 20+. Every model is represented including the RV10.
If you would like to join, send me an e-mail from a Google Account. My e-mail address is in my signature.

Partain doesn't cross the Canadian border so I'll be meeting his driver in Niagara Falls, NY with a U-Haul truck. I got some advice from Bryan Hathaway at Van's on how best to strap things down in the truck. Has anyone else done this? I've built carts to receive the wings and fuselage in the hangar but I don't think I'll use them in the U-Haul. Any thoughts on this?

Last edited:
Back