What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

E-mag 100 hr inspection

Aviaman

Well Known Member
I have an older E-mag (but not p mag). It specifies inspections at 100 hrs. That means removing the unit from the accessory case, inspecting its gear and shaft, re-installing and timing. On my plane, an RV-9A, this is very difficult due to the very confined space. At this moment, I’m not even sure it’s possible, get back on if I managed to get it off. Probably a gasket is involved too. This is at annual condition inspection and at about 125 hrs TTSN on engine (an O-360). It’s working fine now. My question is whether this is really necessary. Slick mags don’t have to be inspected until 500 hrs. Why does this E-mag have such a short inspection period? I don’t think any other major accessory has that short a period.

My question is whether this is really necessary. I don’t think any other major accessory has that short a period.

Yes, it's necessary because the manufacturer requires it. They know things about the mags the general public does not, such as failure rates regarding the parts being inspected.

You might have 20 people respond and say "My PMags are always fine when I inspect them" and yet you may be the one with a failing part.

Slick mags don’t have to be inspected until 500 hrs. Why does this E-mag have such a short inspection period?

There's no comparing Slick Mags with a PMag, the only similarity between the two is that they drive spark plugs.

Inspect them.

Last edited:
If you have an older unit that's never been off the engine then I assume the service bulletins are not up to date. There is a big one on magnet retention that requires a factory retrofit. Yes, this product requires "eyes on" inspections regularly. There is a lot of mechanical chaos going on in there. Inspect, and do it often .

John,
FWIW, skipping maintenance for lack of space or a cumbersome work generally is not a good practice. If it is too tight of space to pull it out or install it, then perhaps not a bad idea to resolve those things as one might skip one annual but can't go for ever not checking it.
As the wobble test itself, I personally think it is such a subjective test and fortunately I have not had any issues with PMAG on both planes that I have had but I have also heard that the older e-mags had more issues than the newer ones.

My 2 cents as usual

If you have an older unit that's never been off the engine then I assume the service bulletins are not up to date. There is a big one on magnet retention that requires a factory retrofit. Yes, this product requires "eyes on" inspections regularly. There is a lot of mechanical chaos going on in there. Inspect, and do it often .

There is also a MAJOR firmware update that should be done on your E-mag.

I don't pull mine every year but only because I have the EICommander that is constantly monitoring them and should a bearing or mag gear fail, it will pick it up. I also check the internal generators on my P-mags prior to every flight.

When you send it in for the software update, ask them to upgrade it to a P-mag with the 114 board.

Yes, it's necessary because the manufacturer requires it. They know things about the mags the general public does not, such as failure rates regarding the parts being inspected.

Now there's some real testimony...

I have an older E-mag (but not p mag). It specifies inspections at 100 hrs. That means removing the unit from the accessory case, inspecting its gear and shaft, re-installing and timing. On my plane, an RV-9A, this is very difficult due to the very confined space. At this moment, I?m not even sure it?s possible, get back on if I managed to get it off. Probably a gasket is involved too. This is at annual condition inspection and at about 125 hrs TTSN on engine (an O-360). It?s working fine now. My question is whether this is really necessary. Slick mags don?t have to be inspected until 500 hrs. Why does this E-mag have such a short inspection period? I don?t think any other major accessory has that short a period.

Great timing (yeah corny joke).

But I just removed my P-Mag 114 and sent it in for a major looking over and new firmware since it has 500 hours on it. The new firmware is what I'm after but it can also use the extra inspection IMHO. Especially since the C/I is underway, the "timing" is perfect (still can't resist).

Maybe get a RV familiar A&P and see if there is a trick to getting your E-Mag out. Sometimes the solution is an alternate perspective. If it is indeed impossible to remove, that's a problem because it's probably never been inspected. But I bet that's not the case.

I also have to mention that Brad D. at E-Mag is one of the nicest, most generous guys in the business with his time and knowledge. There is a lot of information in the manual that is helpful, and it gets better after a conversation with Brad if there are still questions.

I get what you guys are saying. A critical item like a mag needs to be inspected at the manufacturer?s recommended schedule. Although difficult, it can be done. Mine is an older 113 series. It had a firmware update (37). I talked to technical support (very patient and helpful) and they will retrofit this older E-mag (not a p mag) to a p mag for a charge of, I believe they said, $380. I think that is the way to go. Has anyone here done this?

To me, $380 is a steal to go from E-Mag to P-mag with latest updates to firmware and control boards. As far as owner and operator experience goes, you'll have extra "setup" and timing control over this mag that you didn't with the E-Mag. The big thing is the safety of the redundant internal generator is a clear advantage, in case you lose ship power for any reason what so ever.

Back