What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wanted audio panel reviews

jimbo

Well Known Member
Patron
For those who have had a lower price point audio panel, say a Garmin GMA-240, and have upgraded to the Garmin GMA-245, or PS-Eng PDA360EX (both claim better audio plus Bluetooth, USB charging port, auto squelch) was it worth the extra $500+? (even more of a difference considering you can get a slightly used GMA-240 for $300 discount off new.

Is the audio that much better?

Thanks,
Jim
RV9a flying

No help from me...

going to be difficult to get a real good comparison as there are so many variables such as headsets etc. Also sound is very subjective but I have been wondering the same thing. Anyone actually swapped one out with all else being the same?

I started with a 240 and recently upgraded to a 245. There are three features I upgraded for:

1. 3D positional audio. Its nice to "hear" which radio I am listening to since I am always monitoring my second comm (usually 121.5).
2. Bluetooth. I listen to music when I fly and the new bluetooth connection from my iPhone is awesome! I don't have to plug wires in any longer to get good music. I haven't used it to make a call yet so I can't comment on that part of the process.
3. G3X interface. If you have a G3X there is a lot more functionality that is available through the on screen interface. I haven't had a chance to use this new functionality yet but its nice to know its there when I do need it. (different music sources for passengers for example).

As far as audio...no change other than the 3D positional audio that I love.

Is the audio that much better?

g

This is a very subjective question. A few (maybe a member of the NY Philharmonic) will pay any amount of money for a small improvement. But most of us aren't like that, so how many dollars for how much improvement is a very personal choice (remember, you'll be in a noisy airplane, not a concert hall). IMHO you should look for features that are important to you. For example, my wife likes having her own volume controls for radio, intercom, and music. And they have to be easy to use (if it involves 3 button pushes we'll both soon forget the procedure). Also, consider if you really need an audio panel, or just a good intercom. These days there is less switching than there used to be, with flip-flop radios, no ADF, no MB, etc.

Back