What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Airworthy!! (well, on paper anyway)

pstraub

Well Known Member
After just over a year of building, I am officially airworthy. A huge thanks to all the VAF members that have provided advice and direction over the last year. I had an FAA Inspector from the Sacramento FSDO, Richard 'Dilly' Dilbeck, truly a great guy. He spent 4 hours with me, very thorough and knowledgeable. Time to move to the airport and get ready to fly this thing! I have 2.0 on the hobbs, lots of engine/brake/fuel system testing in my court https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qeqYdSKP1FE. Off to Phase 1....

2ur17x0.jpg

Congratulations! Nice to see another classic handshake picture too.

Its great that the FAA provides that level of service in your area - most of us in the northeast end up paying DARs hundreds of $$$ out of pocket for that happy shot.:(

Congratulations! Nice to see another classic handshake picture too.

Its great that the FAA provides that level of service in your area - most of us in the northeast end up paying DARs hundreds of $$$ out of pocket for that happy shot.:(

Thanks to all for the nice comments. Yes, I was fortunate, this FAA inspector did not cost me a penny. He was telling me that it will most likely be 'DAR only' in the near future, at least for Experimentals.

Congratulations Paul ...

Now you can look forward to the Adrenalin rush of your first flight ... and wearing the "RV grin".

Happy Flying,

Dang. That's gotta be some kind of record for a first-time builder. Congratulations!

Thanks Kevin, I doubt it's a record but I was really happy to finish in a year. I screwed up the timing of ordering the Finish Kit, so I ended up having about 10 weeks without anything to work on....that was hard!!

It's a really neat event when all the sweat, blood and tears finially get rewarded. Congratulations, you are going to find you have built one of the greatest flying machines!

Congrats Paul!
The real Fun begins in the air. More exciting that taxiing in the court :)

I will be watching for the first flight video!

Congrats Paul!
The real Fun begins in the air. More exciting that taxiing in the court :)

I will be watching for the first flight video!

Oh, I have no intention of flying it, I just want to taxi around. Flying is dangerous and insurance is very reasonable for a "taxi only" policy!! ;)

Moving Day!

Last Thursday was moving day, the little RV-12 finally got a peek at a real runway :)

307pzzp.jpg

2cwv9c6.jpg

2dbq6wg.jpg

25ixdf4.jpg

166xdlv.jpg

Congratulations! I just got mine earlier this year. I was especially taken back by the photo with the wings off! I had a DAR travel to me (for $1250.00) saying he wanted the wings off, when he got here his boss said he could not give me the AW because the wings were off! (But he would be glad to come back when the wings were on for another $1250) Some of the confusion comes from a DAR saying he wants it all opened up as ready for a condition inspection, but being unaware that the wings come off on a 12 for a condition inspection.

You told me about your hangar so I see what mean, but it looks like a great shelter none the less. If the hangar is clean and dry that's half the battle.

Looking forward to first flight.

Very nice! I'm looking forward to flying over and seeing it. We should plan sometime soon.

That would be great Ron....I still have not been through Brentwood/Oakley for quite awhile. I was planning on flying to Byron as part of my phase 1 testing. I will let you know.

Back