What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

What blind rivet did you use here?

Ender

There is a really tough to access rivet. Many folks online have said they either had a really nasty buck, or they blind riveted it.

I'm curious what blind rivet you used if you went that route. The grip is pretty long, so I think I can only use a cherry (can't use a Mk-319). I want to confirm if the NAS1097 cherry is the right one to use (considering its a 3/32 hold that is dimpled for a 426-3).

Thanks!

FcfHbJdY6Rk0OyAm1iKvxhRiTQ49DKRMqHHaTDo5mAv6O-34nfEEpq2uyoSC9zq3GfxwQ53k594Dc49ubr1lt-5pkwFGB1zhVvLGz1eAkhF6Ds6PmSdv6JYeM1yqOuXFPP-_6ucWaBVkAtrPFJM-_QbXuF1EW9JICy0ivG1xiTNab-NxOUtJsh_VhRuI6U6hjLP1wEziD12uyvYjLN5d6DjPeAr1gKTsMAm6RnAg3MdAMlerl6nL9XWwVp1tI61ljQREkm8hdss0PlBT_Fs9oWOIgGGqjBgyf8peHOmcV8hYBLSQ3ydJkfVRKL6duEz1I4bRswvyscE1K0XBW0lFs61EUOAPNLA3LzwdrQnHfby5-4NEO5iMLh6TU9qbhgrNxoiKNCE8nK6alFQP6HNm24rhypcKcovS2QRe5ZiEQc6UAeRW4y4dnI4H-3spDjZx4NzruRc6De4sSjIqLEvWfg25P6YLwXsGw84Bb8MNLNcxt_BZqJPMeeKpc_gQaufnPNH2o8jLlQ1cIWpErxIyHXJMkhuqcO2vhzYYDfdd2yXBdbZKPqJIYK6MmQguFydG7iQvU-6TENvVnO2ezkSsUGbflcpQFt4XG7oBgWPTAKylf1Sxa77yE0ntaVmFyU-OnFUwY1AHNptly-VtTk523oVKteHCp_2dP3PQfU6i0vkmDiHdqM-U-G6wAY0rL4pBQNm_8Gdjb8FWsV1mdlRKSSm51cp2oamkv5zxVuOWWmWyTQgYQ0XLpA=w1299-h907-no

Last edited:
I don't have a rivet gauge yet, but I think its a bit bigger than that. Closer to 0.125 to 0.15 I think.

Yep! or just buy one. They guys I work with aren't at work anymore with everything going on!

@Larco Correct, but that is for a 0.25 in max grip I think, I'm curious was the min grip is.

That is also for a larger 120 deg dimple. The initial hole size is 3/32 with a 100deg dimple for a 3/32 rivet.

The CS4-4 expects a dimple that is similar to a #30 hole, but at 120 deg.

Thanks for the suggestions though.

My guess is that I will need to use one of the NAS1097 1/8 cherrys.

@Ethanol1 - Not that I know of, but I'm newer to Marion, mostly lived in CR. But I know who Bill Reed is ;).

Last edited:
I remember that area being a real bugger to buck. With 2 people it is doable. Having a small tungsten bucking bar helps get in the tight areas and still provides some weight behind it.

I remember that area being a real bugger to buck. With 2 people it is doable. Having a small tungsten bucking bar helps get in the tight areas and still provides some weight behind it.

Yeah I usually have two people. I also have a small tungsten bar (I have a few) but it still just doesn?t quite fit right. Thanks though!

May be too late but I recall backriveting those stiffeners on the bench before installing.

May be too late but I recall backriveting those stiffeners on the bench before installing.

I think I?ve seen similar elsewhere. But these ones can?t be done like that because it?s side skins, stuff we, and lower aft skin.

I struggled there too. After drilling out several times, I used a longer grip MK - could have been MK-321BS. This area receives more intense preflight scrutiny as a result.

Had a chance to look at mine this morning. Has the 3-4 in there as per plans. I did it with my tungsten bucking bar (have used that on most of the build) and definitely a two person job. I don?t remember but I very likely used a mirror also. They?re 135.00 at Cleaveland.

Back