What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rollbar CS and rivets

jswareiv

Well Known Member
Has anyone gotten an official word from Van's on whether to use 426-3 or 426-4 rivets on the flange of the rollbar? On page 37-04 it says to CS for 426 rivets. The diagram shows using 426-4-5 rivets, but all of the holes along the flange and the strap are 3/32", not 1/8". It doesn't say to final drill to #30. There have been a couple of rivet errors and I am wondering if they want this to be a #3 or #4.

The call out for 426-4-5 rivets is correct.

Because of the thickness of the parts and the way they are formed, it is difficult to get an exact alignment of the pre-punched holes so they are punched under sized and then final drilled during assembly to assure alignment.

Has anyone gotten an official word from Van's on whether to use 426-3 or 426-4 rivets on the flange of the rollbar? On page 37-04 it says to CS for 426 rivets. The diagram shows using 426-4-5 rivets, but all of the holes along the flange and the strap are 3/32", not 1/8". It doesn't say to final drill to #30. There have been a couple of rivet errors and I am wondering if they want this to be a #3 or #4.

I got a chance to check the drawings....
On drawing 37-03 it says -
Final-Drill #30 all #40 holes in the Roll Bar Frame Assembly and cleco. Trapped drill shavings will
shift the way parts nest and lead to problems later. Keep the parts tight together and clear away
shavings as needed during the final-drill process.

I should have remembered that as I drilled all mine #40 , deburred then realized I needed to drill them #30.

I got a chance to check the drawings....
On drawing 37-03 it says -
Final-Drill #30 all #40 holes in the Roll Bar Frame Assembly and cleco. Trapped drill shavings will
shift the way parts nest and lead to problems later. Keep the parts tight together and clear away
shavings as needed during the final-drill process.

Thanks Scott, I missed that.

Back