What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Airventure Oshkosh Flyover Opportunity for RV Pilots - and update on special parking

greghughespdx

Well Known Member
Advertiser
EAA Airventure Oshkosh 2018 - 10,000 RVs Flyover Opportunity

We wanted to let everyone know about an opportunity for a handful of experienced volunteer RV pilots to participate in a fly-over during the EAA Airventure airshow at Oshkosh. We're looking for volunteers who would like to fly their aircraft, one of each flying model number. Experienced pilots would participate in two morning airshow briefings and then participate in an afternoon flyover display commemorating the milestone of 10,000 flying RVs. The pilots' time commitments that day will be for two 45-60 minute briefings in the morning and then a few hours in the afternoon of Monday July 23rd for the airshow staging and actual flight. So, it will be necessary for participants to already have arrived and gotten settled before Monday morning.

The flying event consists of taking off and entering what is essentially a large holding pattern/area, then flying over airshow center while we announce the aircraft model and history, pilot's name and a little something about you and the airplane ("John Smith flew to OSH this year from his home in Indiana. He completed his RV-7 in 2003 after xx years, and has flow it to Oshkosh xx times as well as to other amazing places with his kids and grandkids," etc.)

If you are interested in being part of this fun celebration, feel confident in your aircraft and flying skills, and can make the commitment (the RV world would be counting on you after all!), please send an email to [email protected] and let us know your airplane model and N-number, your flight experience (hours flying the airplane or other RVs), and a little about yourself (we love a good story). Please also include a photo of your aircraft if possible. Van's will be selecting participants for this special opportunity to fly in an Oshkosh airshow display between now and July 17th.

We also have a few remaining slots in a special "10,000 RVs" parking area near show center along the flight line. We have several volunteers so far (and our goal is to have customer-built airplanes on display of course), but there are a few models that are not yet represented on our list (the RV-12 and RV-9 come to mind). So, if you're willing and able to park your awesome ship where lots of people will see it in the context of celebrating 10,000 flying RVs, please let me know! Again, an email to [email protected] will do the trick.

Oh, and you do already have your banquet tickets reserved, right?? ;)

Thanks, and see you at OSH!

- greg hughes

Last edited:
This is pretty neat. Not sure i would feel comfortable with it only being my second time flying in to oshkosh but will be neat to watch.

UPDATE: As of Monday afternoon, we are still looking for applications for the RV fly-by from confident, interested pilots and airplanes of the following models, so let us know if you're interested!

RV-3
RV-6 or 6A

Thank you for all the interest so far. This will be a fun event!

Last edited:
I?m flying an RV6 to Oshkosh for the seventh time and few the pass for the RV6 recognition flight two years ago and would be interested in doing it again this year.

49clipper

I would be interested also. I have an RV-6 and have flown into OSH 14 times.
2007 model with 500+ hrs on this airframe and 4300 on my airframe.
Jim

A different type of "volunteer"

If any of the RV pilots in the event are looking "extra ballast" I would be more than happy to volunteer my services =)

Adam
--------
Future RV10 builder and flying Pipers until I can fly my own

UPDATE: We are looking for a RV-3 to participate in the showcase fly-by!

We know that the number of RV-3s that fly into OSH is relatively small, but we are hopeful someone out there will be flying theirs in, and that they'd be comfortable and open to flying in the showcase event on Monday afternoon. Drop us a line ([email protected]) if interested! If I have to resort to walking the homebuilt parking and camping areas, I will - but hopeful we can get someone signed up before then!

Thanks!

UPDATE: We are looking for a RV-3 to participate in the showcase fly-by!

We know that the number of RV-3s that fly into OSH is relatively small, but we are hopeful someone out there will be flying theirs in, and that they'd be comfortable and open to flying in the showcase event on Monday afternoon. Drop us a line ([email protected]) if interested! If I have to resort to walking the homebuilt parking and camping areas, I will - but hopeful we can get someone signed up before then!

Thanks!

For any of our -3 compadres who are waiting for Tsam to sign up, we?re leaving her home this year due to other travel considerations (a week of camping on teh way home) and the need for more capacity....so someone please bring a -3 to the show! We?ve got to have the best airplane Van ever designed represented....

I am game. RV-3B. Email sent.

J5j7YOC.jpg

Jim

Last edited:
Back