What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Possible NEW [non aircraft]Diesel engine coming to market

So, I was looking through some sailing stuff and this just screamed AIRPLANE..

While the weight is high 826lbs that's going to be the entire Marine setup. I'm willing to bet sans drive-train & shrouding will shave 300-400lbs. Adding the necessary p.s.r.u, inter-cooler, radiator etc It will likely be in the same weight class as the io550... Just food for thought.

List price as outboard marine engine is 50k USD, steep price for an alt engine. If the company was willing to sell just the engine ecu sans drive train, wonder if that could get down into the high 20s low 30s.

https://www.coxmarine.com/en/the-engine/

300prop HP

Specs

Engine Designation CXO300
Crankshaft power, kW (hp) 252 (338)
Propeller shaft power, kW (hp) 224 (300)
Engine propping speed, rpm 3700-4000
Displacement, L (cu.in.) 4.4 (266)
Number of cylinders 8
Bore/stroke, mm (in.) 84 (3.3) / 98.5 (3.9)
Compression ratio 16
Weight, kg (lb) 375 (826)
Ratio 1 (Propeller speed) 1.23:1 (3259)
Ratio 2 (Propeller speed) 1.46:1 (2739)
Peak torque, Nm (ft.lb) 650 (479)
Aspiration Twin-turbo
Shaft Length, inch(mm) 25”(635)/30”(762)/35”(889)
Emission compliance EPA 3, IMO 2, RCD 2
Start assist Glow plugs
Rating Light-duty commercial

300_hp_diesel_outboard_launched.jpg

carousel2.jpg

Fuoribordo-CXO-300-senza-calandra.jpg

OXE-exploded-transperant-background.jpg

Last edited:
Actually, I just realized that is not the cxo300, it's the OXE 200hp. Which is a gm engine..

Still not sure what the base on this CXO300 is though.

Appears to be the Ford/PSA developed engine based on the Lion V6. Nice bore/stroke ratio and the subject of a Navistar/Ford lawsuit (no honor among thieves). CGI block (nice high strength) and aluminum heads.

Appears to be the Ford/PSA developed engine based on the Lion V6. Nice bore/stroke ratio and the subject of a Navistar/Ford lawsuit (no honor among thieves). CGI block (nice high strength) and aluminum heads.

This one?
http://www.dieselhub.com/halfton/ford-lions-diesel.html

How does a 60 degree V-8 balance? I know that 90 degree V-6's (chopped V-8's, like the old GM V-6 based on the SBC engine) have balance issues; will the same thing apply to adding a pair of cylinders to a 60 degree engine?

Back