What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Ocala, FL - GA-friendly Airport Recommendations?

Canadian_JOY

Well Known Member
A relative has just purchased a place in Ocala, Florida and issued what amounts to a standing invitation to us to visit and use the place. Quite tempting for those of us still seeing nothing but white snow out the window. OK, maybe travel isn't so tempting in the face of COVID19, but for now this request should be considered one with the purpose of general information gathering.

Are there any airports in the Ocala area that are GA-friendly, perhaps where reasonably-priced tie-down (or even shaded) space might be available to a visitor who might stick around for a few weeks?

Are there any recommendations as far as do's and don't's of flying into the area (obviously from the snow-bound north!).

Is there anything we should know about, particularly from an aviation perspective, that's peculiar to this area, something we northerners might not naturally think of? (I know, don't taxi over alligators... LoL).

I don't know when we might be travelling, perhaps this spring, perhaps not until the fall.

As always, your helpful replies are greatly appreciated.

Dunnellon is close to Ocala, also Williston. Jesse Saint may have answers to questions about Dunnellon.

Last edited:
Just south X35 Marion County FL. Jesse Saint, a contributor on VAF is based there. I have no idea about tie down or hangar space. 100ll is inexpensive $3.66 .

Thanks for these tips. I've spent a few minutes looking at on-line resources, but there's nothing as helpful as first-hand information from locals who know the lay of the land. As always, this site provides a wealth of information via the vast knowledge of its contributors.

I find Ocala is a nice airport for GA flying. They just moved the FBO and operations to a new facility and it looks to be awesome. Willistons Airport (X60) is very close and is a popular place for local pilots to visit and have lunch at the Pyper Kub Cafe.

In this area there are lots of GA training and military flying so just be careful of active warning/restricted areas and local training areas. I recommend flying IFR or with Flight Follow which makes everything a lot easier.

:cool:

Last edited:
Back