What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Help, wing rivet question

Rob H

Well Known Member
RV12 Page 17-02 steps 4-7 , reference Figure 1
This is for newer RV12's and can be a retrofit for older models. When riveting the W1201A Doubler and bottom inboard wing skin to the wing spar and rib underneath, the most inboard rivet calls for CR3213-4-3. The problem occurs when I pull the rivet, it doesn't grab the flange of the wing rib underneath, the shop end pulls right through. It's happened twice now. I'm wondering if I can drill #40 a small piece of scrap to use like a washer underneath since it pulls right through the #30 hole in the rib flange? Has anyone else experienced this problem? Also, I'm guessing I can't use a LP4-3 because it's not the right spec for strength? Help please!

This is for newer RV12's and can be a retrofit for older models. When riveting the W1201A Doubler and bottom inboard wing skin to the wing spar and rib underneath, the most inboard rivet calls for CR3213-4-3. The problem occurs when I pull the rivet, it doesn't grab the flange of the wing rib underneath, the shop end pulls right through. It's happened twice now. I'm wondering if I can drill #40 a small piece of scrap to use like a washer underneath since it pulls right through the #30 hole in the rib flange? Has anyone else experienced this problem? Also, I'm guessing I can't use a LP4-3 because it's not the right spec for strength? Help please!

I just installed the retrofit kit on my older wings. Didn't have any problem with pull through. I'll take a closer look at it tomorrow to see how close I might have been to pull through.

Jim

Thanks, Jim. I didn't even know that mine pulled through until I turned the wing over to work on the ther side. After I installed another CR rivet, it looks like there isn't enough grip length on that rivet, whereas a lp4-3 would work fine. I put in an email to the Mothership.

Thanks, Jim. I didn't even know that mine pulled through until I turned the wing over to work on the ther side. After I installed another CR rivet, it looks like there isn't enough grip length on that rivet, whereas a lp4-3 would work fine. I put in an email to the Mothership.

Rob.......please post what you hear back.

Thanks, Jim

If you are using the correct rivet, and the hole was not accidentally enlarged during removal of a previously installed rivet, The specified rivet should just barely fit through the hole so making a washer with a #40 hole should be of no benefit (the rivet fits a #30 not #40 hole).
Is it possible that when you final drilled the 8 holes for the BSPQ rivets you did the most inboard one also? If so, the Cherry rivet wont work.

Rob.......I just checked and mine are nice and tight. I looked at the shop head with a mirror and can see where they've expanded slightly.

As Scott mentioned........if the inboard hole was inadvertently drilled #22 like the other 8 that were called out for #22, that would account for the problem.

Jim

Ok guys, I did not drill it out to #22. And Scott is correct that a #40 would not work. Van's email said it would be okay to use a CR rivet with a little bit longer grip length. So I'm going to try a 4-4 instead of the 4-3. I primed the doubler, skin, and rib, so maybe that added just enough thickness that the rivet wasn't getting a good grip. I appreciate the help and thanks for checking yours, Jim.

I'm using a pneumatic puller from Cleaveland tools. I think by priming my parts, the grip length of the called out rivet wasn't quite sufficient.

Back