What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

-6A to -6

Pilotjkl

Friend
I'm in the market for a ?6 project and have been offered a -6A project, the fuselage has not yet been started and does not come with finishing kit, my question is can I build it as a ?6?
Thanks in advance for your help
John

Yes you can build it as a 6.... Call Van's for the few extra parts that you will need.

Yes you can.
I built my 7A and flew it for 6 years before converting it to a tail wheel. At the kit stage, your build will easier as a TW model.
On the TW, your gear legs are secured to the engine mount, not the gear weldments on the spar. You also need to attach the tail wheel mounting bracket on the rear fuselage.
Contact Vans to return your A model, engine mount, gear weldments & gear legs.
You need to get the TW engine mount, gear legs, TW mount & TW assembly.
You might want to check out Fly Boys (www.flyboyaccessories.com), sponsor on this site, for your TW assembly. It's much better setup. IMHO.

Last edited:
Sounds good, I'm looking at a 6A kit tomorrow no finish kit and fuselage is still in crate
Thanks for the help

Sounds good, I'm looking at a 6A kit tomorrow no finish kit and fuselage is still in crate
Thanks for the help

Get a copy of the plans in PDF form from Vans. Sheet 28 gives the major differences for the rear two bulkheads between the TD and -A models.

If the fuselage hasn't been started it's certainly no big deal.

Get a copy of the plans in PDF form from Vans. Sheet 28 gives the major differences for the rear two bulkheads between the TD and -A models.

If the fuselage hasn't been started it's certainly no big deal.

Thanks Az, can I get PDF off their website or do I need to call them and order the PDF plans?

I did this on my RV7. I was able to sell most of my parts to recoup the purchase price of the tailwheel engine mount, gear legs, and tailwheel.

Order

Thanks Az, can I get PDF off their website or do I need to call them and order the PDF plans?

It's in "the list" on Vans web site, and now on a flash drive -

FD PLANS RV-6/6A Flash Drive PLANS/MANUAL 6/6A $10.00

I'm in the market for a –6 project and have been offered a -6A project, the fuselage has not yet been started and does not come with finishing kit, my question is can I build it as a –6?
Thanks in advance for your help
John

Make absolutely sure you're ok with running into things like taxi lights and parkings stakes at airshows and not seeing the runway on take off and ending up in the ditch unexpectedly and flipping over just trying turn around on a runway on a windy day.

If you answered "That's Ok" to all those, go for it! On the plus side, the nose won't collapse on gofer hole. What, kill all the golfers!?

-Bruce

Make absolutely sure you're ok with running into things like taxi lights and parkings stakes at airshows and not seeing the runway on take off and ending up in the ditch unexpectedly and flipping over just trying turn around on a runway on a windy day.

If you answered "That's Ok" to all those, go for it! On the plus side, the nose won't collapse on gofer hole. What, kill all the golfers!?

-Bruce

Not ok with any of these, I currently fly a Thorp T18 and have not had any of these problems in 2000 hrs of taildragger flying

the comment about be prepared to hit taxi lights and other things, is not true at all, and should be ignored. RV tail draggers typically have good visibility over the nose even with the tail on the ground. That and proper procedures will ensure many safe years of ground handling.

Last edited:
Tongue in cheek comment?

I'm sure that Bruce was actually trying to be funny. Maybe he forgot to include the smiley face. You know, that "real pilots fly taildraggers" thing. :p

Yes, I was trying to be funny... but

I fly frequently (3-10x a month)
I have 2,000 hours of tailwheel time
I hit a taxi light (10+ years ago)
I hit two stakes at airshows (10+ years ago)
I came gnats-*** close to flipped my RV-4 over trying to turn around on a very windy day a couple years ago.
I've never had a ground loop or a flip over.
I've damaged an aircraft (other than the prop) as pilot.

With lots of hours in all kinds of airplanes, trikes are just simpler and just handle more predictably and better in all conditions. If that wasn't the case why aren't there any factory new aircraft tailwheel? Why aren't 787's tailwheel? Why is the RV community the last holdout of tricycle gear deniers?

It's just another opinion... ban the tailwheel... now, that is a joke ;)

I guess what's going through my head is this... an older pilot I respect deeply once told me, I'd never fly a tailwheel again if it wasn't how the bird was parked there. Flying is risky enough, why add to it?!

Last edited:
With lots of hours in all kinds of airplanes, trikes are just simpler and just handle more predictably and better in all conditions. If that wasn't the case why aren't there any factory new aircraft tailwheel? Why aren't 787's tailwheel? Why is the RV community the last holdout of tricycle gear deniers?

1. Maule
2. Pitts S2
3. Husky
4. Carbon Cub
5. Legend Cub

To name just a few factory new aircraft you can purchase today.

Tailwheel aircraft give you more options in windy and rough field conditions than tricycles.

But you are right, the OP should keep his "A" if he wants to land on grass and end up upside-down.

As for why RV pilots are keeping taildraggers alive, I like to think we are keeping an ancient art alive.

Back