What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Yikes! Just ordered my kit ...

bkervaski

Hellloooooooo!
Testing
I did it. Just ordered my 14A QB kit and tools. Scary. Time to get to work on the shop!

Emp kit ordered, test project ordered, QB kit deposit down (6 month lead time), tools ordered, any general advise? I've been reading through the forum for weeks.

Fortunately there are more and more build logs online every day for 14s and they have been the biggest help for me in my build. I would bookmark and read as many as you can before you start a section. They have prevented many problems for me and helped solve many others that I created.

Don't be surprised when you find that the tool kit you ordered doesn't have everything you need. In addition to more drill bit sizes, reamers, drill guide slip bushings, a BCT tool for those miserable molex pins, J11 modular connector tool, more clamps, etc., you will likely also have a steady stream of new tools in the mail every week simply to make the build go easier and faster (think deburring!). I started my build at home around Christmas last year and I've had at least one tool in the mail every week since then.

Take your wife to dinner and an long weekend out-----:eek: Once everything gets there you'll be spending alot of time in the shop. Teach her to rivet!!

Tom

Congratulations

Take your wife to dinner and an long weekend out-----:eek: Once everything gets there you'll be spending alot of time in the shop. Teach her to rivet!!

Tom

Congratulations and welcome.
Like Tom said. You're gonna need her own board!

The Project

Emp kit ordered, test project ordered, QB kit deposit down (6 month lead time), tools ordered, any general advise? I've been reading through the forum for weeks.

You have no idea what you just got yourself into. I didn't either. I knew it would be a big project, but I had done other big projects before so no problem. This one is different..this one is addictive. Before you know it, you'll be going to bed at night and waking up in the morning thinking about "The Project". I used to be very handy around the house and enjoyed household projects. Now my wife can't even get me to change a light bulb.
Advice for the build? All the stuff mentioned above plus, remember that saying "measure twice, cut once"? That doesn't apply to aluminum. You have to measure three times before you cut, countersink, drill, bend..etc. If not, you'll likely see the Van's supply truck (most are painted brown for some reason), in your driveway more than you would like. I look at it like I'm helping to support the local economy in Aurora, Oregon:). It seems to help.
One other thing I'll mention is that, while most of the build can be done solo, it is nice sometimes to have an extra pair of hands. I was fortunate that one of my neighbors just happen to be over the night I started building the practice tool box. He got "addicted" too, and has basically learned building skills with me along the way. Very nice to have an experienced helper just a text away. However, on the other hand, for me anyway, this is not a social project like I thought it would be. The majority of the time, I find I just need to be alone in the shop and concentrate on the task at hand.
Once again welcome to the club and enjoy "The Project"!

I ordered my original kit from Planetools as well. Compared to other kits it seemed to be a bit higher quality, for example including the DRDT2 dimpling tool as opposed to those that you whack with a hammer. I discovered early on that at least one drill bit size was needed for the RV14 that was not included in the kit. I called Isham to let him know, and perhaps now your tool kit might have it. I think your kit probably only includes the pneumatic squeezer (which is awesome) but you will likely need a hand squeezer too. I got mine from Cleaveland.
The deburring tools included in your toolkit are woefully inadequate. Not long ago I posted a plea to others on this forum asking for advice since it was taking so long to debur (especially those little flanges on the bulkheads!). I got some excellent advice that ended up with more tools in the mail, but I went from taking about 2 hours to debur half a bulkhead to about 10 minutes.
Also, despite being crazy expensive, the tungsten bucking bars seem to be the way to go. With all that mass in such a small package you can get them into tight spots, yet it requires fewer hits from the rivet gun to set the rivets than if you were using the plain steel bucking bars.
You will have to match drill some holes with high precision, and if you are like me, I suck at drilling straight holes. I recommend getting a set of drill slip bushings for that task; Brown tool has a good selection.
If you plan to prime, make sure you get a quality respirator so you aren't brain damaged by the end of your build. I got a 3M painter's model with organic vapor filters off of Amazon.
Buy a box of grey and maroon scotchbrite. You'll use those throughout the build. Buy a set of Oops rivets.
Build a back riveting table with a BIG steel plate so you have more flexibility in how you maneuver the part on the table. You do NOT want to back-rivet accidentally off the edge of the plate. Don't ask how I know.
Get an inspection mirror so you can examine hard-to-reach rivets after setting them.
Make sure you have easy access to both power and compressed air so you aren't dragging your part all over the shop. Make it so that the air and power are where you need them, and use one of those light-weight hose setups you can get from Cleaveland. It really works well.
Lastly, I've found that Cleaveland is extremely responsive and will have your order to your door in as little time as possible, which is nice if you are trying to keep the momentum going. There are many more tips that will probably come to me after I hit the submit button, but the bottom line is that necessity is the mother of tool buying. You'll be figuring it out as you go, or posting questions here as I have getting advice from those that have gone before us. Soon you will be paying it forward as I am here.

Last edited:
RV-14A

Welcome Aboard,

I echo all the above advice. I have found the most beneficial thing for me is to study, study, study the plans. Read ahead of every new step you take.

Your gonna love it!

This is all great encouragement and advice, thanks guys, keep it coming!!!

I'm going to get Steinair to do a VFR panel (Garmin 3GX Touch x 2, AP, Comms) with IFR upgrades in mind later. I'm hoping that with the QB kit will shave some time off the build.

I know how these types of projects can get out of control so I'm sticking to the plan and anything I want to change will have to be after it's flying.

I'm going to dedicate 20-30 hours a week on it with some help.

Last edited:
The deburring tools included in your toolkit are woefully inadequate. Not long ago I posted a plea to others on this forum asking for advice since it was taking so long to debur (especially those little flanges on the bulkheads!). I got some excellent advice that ended up with more tools in the mail, but I went from taking about 2 hours to debur half a bulkhead to about 10 minutes.

What was the advice? This sounds like one of those things I can get ahead of.

Bill---there are several RVer's around Birmingham, and Dan Horton is close. Reach out to these guys and gals. Great benefit especially early on.
Tom

Got my serial number! #140376

I guess this means number 376 of 14 kits sold .. I'm glad to see so many out there ..

Back