What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-12 Checklist for Skyview

Dgamble

Well Known Member
The URL below should open a folder on my Google Drive. If it works (still waiting for someone to confirm access) you will find an RV-12 checklist (ProductionRV12Checklist.txt), an installer for the program that I used to build the checklist, and some admittedly weak instructions on how to use the builder.

NOTE: the program itself is a work-in-progress and has only been tested on my own PC, but you're free to give it a try. I would appreciate feedback from anyone that tries it. It will only work on a Windows PC.

There is a thread in the Glass Panel forum for the program itself; this posting is more about the checklist file. I've found it to be useful.

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=168587

This should give you access to download:

https://drive.google.com/drive/u/0/folders/18l4wIw0pUMUu2Db-343AKDpCGXMVG2N8?ths=true

Hi Dave, that is really kind of you, I am looking forward to trying it out. I have intended to make a few 'Emergency Procedures' checklists, but just haven't taken the time, so this is great. Even though the -12 is a very simple little airplane, I don't want to rely on my memory or fumble around for the POH in the middle of an actual emergency. Thanks so much for taking the time to code this. Paul

The emergency procedures will be in a separate file for now. It's wordy in places and its a lot more text, etc. That's exposing quite a few things that need to be fixed or rethought, so it's likely to be a few days. I'll let you know when I upload it.

The URL below should open a folder on my Google Drive. If it works (still waiting for someone to confirm access) you will find an RV-12 checklist (ProductionRV12Checklist.txt), an installer for the program that I used to build the checklist, and some admittedly weak instructions on how to use the builder.

NOTE: the program itself is a work-in-progress and has only been tested on my own PC, but you're free to give it a try. I would appreciate feedback from anyone that tries it. It will only work on a Windows PC.

There is a thread in the Glass Panel forum for the program itself; this posting is more about the checklist file. I've found it to be useful.

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=168587

This should give you access to download:

https://drive.google.com/drive/u/0/folders/18l4wIw0pUMUu2Db-343AKDpCGXMVG2N8?ths=true
Dave, enjoyed reading your blog again. Any other Florida like flights since 2017? Always enjoy your info sharing. Very helpful! Doug in IL

Hi Dave, that is really kind of you, I am looking forward to trying it out. I have intended to make a few 'Emergency Procedures' checklists, but just haven't taken the time, so this is great. Even though the -12 is a very simple little airplane, I don't want to rely on my memory or fumble around for the POH in the middle of an actual emergency. Thanks so much for taking the time to code this. Paul
The Emergency Procs chapter is now uploaded to Google Drive.

Wanted to say Thank You, Dave, for making that available. Nice to have a checklist right in front of you, on the screen, to tick off, one by one. Nothing beats being thorough before you get up in the air. Captain I fly with uses a version of "CIGAR" right before run up. Actually "CCiGAR"

Canopy Closed and latched properly (RV-12 specific)
Controls
Instruments
Gas level (panel reading for tank, fuel pressure, tank valve on floor open position, choke in)
Attitude (Trim settings)
Run up (Check Mags and RPM drop after oil reaches 122F)

Last edited:
Checklist

When I learned to fly back in the sixtys, my instructor taught me to use "Mr. Peter Rabit May I Go Flying Tonight Please Sir." I don't remember what all that stood before but I remember magnetos was one of the M's and PS was Perimeter Search.

Years later when I flew a Baron I used CigarTips.

I flew Citations for 18 years and we had our own normal checklists that our flight department developed (with items for pilot flying, pilot not-flying, and both) and we used those extensively.

When I bought my RV-12 it is such a simple aircraft that I came up with my own pre-takeoff check list, FIGHTS. Flight Controls and Flaps, Engine and Flight Instruments, Gas, Hatch (canopy), Trim, and Strobes. The checklist does not include the runup which I have never forgotten (I know there is always a first time for everything).

But I have now flown the RV-12 120 hours in the last year (I picked it up in Northern Wisconsin on February 12th last year), and I am still liking this checklist.

If anyone see any obvious missing safety items, tell me. It won't hurt my ego and may prevent a problem in the future.

I made a laminated Before Takeoff Checklist that I use religiously. Haven't done anything too stupid yet...

Checklist

Jim, I like your check list but I have a couple of questions.

1. Do you check the fuel level with the stick on every flight? For example, I usually fill mine untl a small amount of fuel runs out the overflow. That way I KNOW it is full. If you do that, do you still stick the fuel.

2. I presume that first canopy latch for taxi is partially open? And the second canopy latch is mtotally closed for takeoff?

3. At what point to you start engine, is it after Master Switch On

4. It seems like a very reasonable checklist.

5. Do you have any other checklists, climb, cruise, descent, pre-landing, etc. I am just curious as to how other pilots are approaching the checklist issues with the RV-12.

Thanks for your help. Because my history of flying jets with much more detailed checklists, I sometimes feel guilty like I am being lazy and leaving something out. So I would like to learn all I can from others on operating a very basic airplane like an RV-12.

I use only the one checklist, it provides best assurance that airplane is configured correctly for initial flight. I do have a list of V speeds which can be quickly referenced - see photo below.

The RV-12 does not have mixture or carburetor heat controls, so it in effect, it behaves like a FADEC which adds safety by simplifying pilot workload. Standard AIS markings (Green, White, Yellow, Red) and a bug set at 55 knots for stabilized approach keep things safe while in the air. The EMS will annunciate and automatically bring up screens for troubleshooting. Other than that, I feel it?s best to keep eyes outside the airplane.

Screen-Shot-2019-02-12-at-4-25-29-AM.png

Jim, I like your check list but I have a couple of questions.

1. Do you check the fuel level with the stick on every flight? For example, I usually fill mine untl a small amount of fuel runs out the overflow. That way I KNOW it is full. If you do that, do you still stick the fuel.

2. I presume that first canopy latch for taxi is partially open? And the second canopy latch is mtotally closed for takeoff?

3. At what point to you start engine, is it after Master Switch On

4. It seems like a very reasonable checklist.

5. Do you have any other checklists, climb, cruise, descent, pre-landing, etc. I am just curious as to how other pilots are approaching the checklist issues with the RV-12.

Thanks for your help. Because my history of flying jets with much more detailed checklists, I sometimes feel guilty like I am being lazy and leaving something out. So I would like to learn all I can from others on operating a very basic airplane like an RV-12.

1) No, I generally add a fixed number of gallons, unless I want it full. In that case I just wait until I hear/see fuel in the filler neck.

2) I am paranoid about the canopy latch. I check it at least twice (pre-taxi, pre-takeoff) with a random "Did I?" check every now and then.

3) I copied the Van's checklists almost verbatim - MASTER ON is in the PRE-START section, ENGINE START is the next chapter. I don't really like everything about their checklist and I customize my own (which is why I built the app - I found the Dynon Excel-based method cumbersome, but that's just me), but I thought it better to share the Van's version than something I cooked up.

4) Thanks, I think it's a good starting point for building your own list(s).

5) I have copied the Vans Normal Ops, Emergency Procedures, and Performance sections - there are three files in the shared folder, one for eqach chapter. I'm not sure I like having them in separate files, but the Skyview can only hold one at a time. I also didn't like the idea of it being a super-long, one-file setup either. The app makes it pretty easy to make chapters, but I haven't built a function to take separate files and create one big one, so that is an exercise left to the reader.

I'm basically giving the app away and providing the Van's checklists I've already made as samples for use in creating custom checklists that meet individual needs.

Dave

I?m paranoid about the canopy also, especially after seeing a YouTube video where aft wind lifts the canopy and flings it into the prop.

I have added a bungee cord fastened to the horizontal angle that supports the seat back. The bungee cord stays attached to the canopy handle for the entire fight and is removed only when engine is shut down.

Back