What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Oshkosh

KRAUSEGB

Well Known Member
I am planning on flying to Oshkosh this year and parking in the home built camping section. Is there a Van's RV area?

Any suggestions or comments would be appreciated.

Gary

Yeah, hold up your sign HBC and you'll land in heaven. AKA "sea of RVs".
There is nothing more to do or say. Enjoy. See ya' there.

One small thing to add

Well there is one small thing to add: bring earplugs in case you're tied down close to the porta-potties. The slamming doors in the middle of the night get a little old.

...I keep forgetting to bring foam door seal to stick around those door edges. Maybe this will be the year.

The first 512 times the tour helicopter overflies HBC, its all about the cool atmosphere. The second 512 times, it’s mildly annoying. The third 512 times, (nap time midweek) you’re scouring the aero-mart for parts to build a SAM.

Last edited:
The first 512 times the tour helicopter overflies HBC, its all about the cool atmosphere. The second 512 times, it?s mildly annoying. The third 512 times, (nap time midweek) you?re scouring the aero-mart for parts to build a SAM.

Ditto.....

Gary,

HBC Sign

And you will see a ton of RV?s

Enjoy

Yep. Assuming you can survive ATC's attempt to kill you on the way in, once you get on the ground the Oshkosh folks do an outstanding job of getting you with your brethren.

Just fly in whenever and show that HBC placard in your windscreen; they'll find a spot for you. No reservation required.

Well there is one small thing to add: bring earplugs in case you're tied down close to the porta-potties. The slamming doors in the middle of the night get a little old.

...I keep forgetting to bring foam door seal to stick around those door edges. Maybe this will be the year.
Or maybe people will actually think about the slamming noise they make letting that door fly shut, and how it rattles everyone for a 100-yard radius. Nah, didn't think so.

As far as active intervention, how about disconnecting that spring...

And don't forget to read the NOTAM! I highly suggest attending this year's EAA Webinar on the Oshkosh Arrival procedures, since they have made changes from last year's messy Sunday cluster****. If you can't make the Webinar live, they make it available later on demand. It totally demystified the RIPON/FISK arrival for me.

Other than the aforementioned door-slammin' port-a-can's what are the near-by facilities like, e.g. showers, charging stations, ice/coffee availability, etc in the HBC area?

I'm familiar with the North-40 area having camped there several years but having recently acquired an RV this will be my first experience camping at the RV - "Heaven" and/or "Ghetto" depending on your perspective?

Thanks

Other than the aforementioned door-slammin' port-a-can's what are the near-by facilities like, e.g. showers, charging stations, ice/coffee availability, etc in the HBC area?

I'm familiar with the North-40 area having camped there several years but having recently acquired an RV this will be my first experience camping at the RV - "Heaven" and/or "Ghetto" depending on your perspective?

Thanks
Everything you mention is located either in the HBC pavilion or near/next to it. Due to the effort of volunteers, coffee is available in the pavilion around 6:00 am, there are gas grills located at the perimeter of the pavilion and there are charging stations there too. It's very nice. Lots of picnic tables available inside the pavilion. Ice is available from the HBC "office" next to the pavilion. It's not the Ritz of course but a very nice setup for campers

Last edited:
Back