What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Transponder antenna

Electrogunner

Well Known Member
Question
I am installing my transponder ant just aft of the firewall through the tunnel. Well, where it needs to be because of my fuel pump and plumbing it ends up under the fairing that extends back under the fuselage, on my show planes cowl. I?m useing a lollipop ant. I?m thinking about making a bracket that will mount to the bottom of the fuselage and face the antenna forward at a 45 degree angle thus hiding it under the fiberglass fairing. What is the consensus in regards to the signal, since it will not be facing straight down.

Doing so would compromise the performance of your transponder. The quarter wave stub vertical antenna you are using should be mounted perpendicular to the ground plane. A sufficient ground plane is required for this antenna to operate properly. The size of the ground plane required for optimal performance of a !/4 wave monopole antenna is determined by the frequency you are transmitting, in this case, around 2.5" radius is required. Mounting it at 45 degrees, or any angle other than perpendicular for that matter, will affect the impedance of the antenna, thus increasing the reflected power (SWR). This may result in damage to the output amplifier in the transponder. I suspect that some of the newer solid state transponders may have built in protection for this.
Could you possibly mount it under the pilot or passenger seat?

Back