What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Baggage Bulkhead Structure Question

Captain_John

Well Known Member
Hey All,

Sooooo, I was wondering... just how "structural" is the baggage bulkhead in a -7?

Here's the deal: I am installing solar panels up at my house in Maine next week and I can fit everything remaining into my plane except for the six 7' long rail sections. They are maybe six pounds each and won't affect CG adversely.

I don't want to ship them and don't want to drive them up, but will if I have to.

My thought is to remove the screws holding the bottom of the top section of the baggage bulkhead, secure them to the seat back bulkhead on the passengers side and fly them up.

I am guessing that someone might have done something similar with skis or another type of light and long cargo item before?

Is the plane's structure incomplete with the baggage bulkhead compromised? Of course, I plan on keeping the greasy side down while the ship is in this condition.

...thoughts and empirical data welcomed!

:confused: CJ

I read a similar post a long time ago, something about Vans instructing to not fly without baggage rear wall or floor in.

Will they fit a 4" diameter cross section? I might have a transporting solution for you :D

Hey All,

Sooooo, I was wondering... just how "structural" is the baggage bulkhead in a -7?

Here's the deal: I am installing solar panels up at my house in Maine next week and I can fit everything remaining into my plane except for the six 7' long rail sections. They are maybe six pounds each and won't affect CG adversely.

I don't want to ship them and don't want to drive them up, but will if I have to.

My thought is to remove the screws holding the bottom of the top section of the baggage bulkhead, secure them to the seat back bulkhead on the passengers side and fly them up.

I am guessing that someone might have done something similar with skis or another type of light and long cargo item before?

Is the plane's structure incomplete with the baggage bulkhead compromised? Of course, I plan on keeping the greasy side down while the ship is in this condition.

...thoughts and empirical data welcomed!

:confused: CJ
Structurally, the baggage bulkhead is a shear web - helps keep the fuselage from being twisted. Removing the top panel obviously reduces that capability, but the major portion remains. I personally wouldn't hesitate to do it for one 'no abrupt maneuver' flight as you propose. Structurally, a hole in the center would be ideal, but not very practical to do, unless you had a spare bulkhead to modify. If you have a piece of aluminum sheet laying around, it is something to consider.
(I'm an AE who designed A/C structures for Boeing and McDonnell Douglas a few jobs back).
I suspect Van's will likely not recommend flying with the top of bulkhead removed. It does compromise the structure. As the manufacturer, you get to decide :cool:
Just saw Scott's wing rib idea - if your tips come off 'easily' that is actually a good idea !!

Last edited:
Being 7' long they won't fit in the wings forward of the spar. Aft of the spar is two aileron tubes and a bell crank which you don't want to interfere with. Dan's duct tape idea sounds plausible but i would be concerned about oil residue causing duct tape adhesive issues. :eek:

Bevan

Dan's duct tape idea sounds plausible but i would be concerned about oil residue causing duct tape adhesive issues. :eek:

Dan is crazy. Don't pay any attention to him.

OK, I have a lead on some scrap pieces of sheet.

But first...

Bret, I recall that too...

Russki, Naw, won't fit into the tube. I am looking at a 6"x8" penetration in the bulkhead.

Scott, I do have removable tips, but I am concerned about control interference like Bevan says.

Dan, where do I begin? I think you like to throw a wild card into the mix and see what people say. However, the thought of external loading was of interest, just not duct tape... ;) We can talk about this over a beer at Beerventure in a few weeks! I think a Fixed Gear Ale would be just about right. Not overly complex but gets the job done!

:cool:

All this being said, I like DG's idea the best. I plan on departing on Sunday (I have one day to fabri-cobble this up). If I get it done tomorrow, I will post some pictures.

I have a few ideas right now and I think I can make something work.

:rolleyes: CJ

Someone here built in a fishing pole, or golf club holder in the rear baggage wall, like a map box but bigger and deeper.......?

That's the solution! They can do some fast engineering there in Mass :D

Xtra%20Large%20-%201.jpg

Xtra%20Large%20-%201%201.jpg

Last edited:
Vlad, thank you for posting the pictures for me.

Everything fits in nicely and I am going to test flight today .

Nice picture of our tail feathers!

I will let you know how it goes! I am sure that it will be fine.

CJ ;)

Back