What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Delrin Aileron Stop

mfleming

Well Known Member
Patron
While doing research on fabricating the Van's aileron stop I came across info on making the Delrin stop. Looked great, simple, easy and adjustable!

So I ordered several diameters of Delrin stock...Others had used ?" stock but my gap looked pretty big. Using ?" stock I fabricated a stop with the aluminum bushing pressed into it.

The ?" stop isn't event close to touching the bracket?? Is there really that big of difference in hinge dimensions between projects? It looks like I will need at least a 1" stop.

Am I doing something wrong??

delrin1.jpg

delrin2.jpg

The gap is really more than this photo shows, because the aileron is resting against one of the hinge bolts on the outboard end.

I made mine using a hole saw in a sheet of delrin of the right width, then I "lathed" it to the perfect diameter using a cordless drill and the bench scotch-brite wheel. I don't remember exactly what diameter I ended up with, though visually looking at your pictures I believe mine are slightly bigger. That said, each side is a different diameter to get the deflections to match right and left, so I do know there is a variance.

EDIT: measured mine, they are both about 15/16" in diameter, and I have mid-range deflection to limit the sticks contact with the throttle and mixture

Last edited:
I made mine using a hole saw in a sheet of delrin of the right width, then I "lathed" it to the perfect diameter using a cordless drill and the bench scotch-brite wheel. I don't remember exactly what diameter I ended up with, though visually looking at your pictures I believe mine are slightly bigger. That said, each side is a different diameter to get the deflections to match right and left, so I do know there is a variance.

Great tip...

I'm thinking I must have done something wrong because even a ⅞" delrin spacer would fall far short of stopping the aileron :confused:

With the aileron full up and no stop, I measure 32°...That doesn't seem right.

Last edited:
Michael,

I used a -3 bolt and 2 big washers and then ground on wheel.
Can't remember the washer size but the 1" size sounds right.
You should have a stack of the washers in the kit.

You have to put on both sides.
Then you can get the right measurements.
Everything has to be hooked up.

Last edited:
Just did this today

It seems I totally missed the stop and some friendly builders found the deficiency. I used some wax to measure and came up with .490" for left and .560" for the right. I would not venture to comment on what is right.

You might check Mike Bullocks website - rvplane.com to see what size he had.

It seems I totally missed the stop and some friendly builders found the deficiency. I used some wax to measure and came up with .490" for left and .560" for the right. I would not venture to comment on what is right.

You might check Mike Bullocks website - rvplane.com to see what size he had.

Very cool trick...

So the measurement of .490 for instance, was the distance needed to be bridged and the diameter of the stop would be roughly double that?

Take black Delrin

Take black Delrin, it is better regarding UV stability.

The black pigments are preventing the UV ray's to enter the material.

Great tip...

I'm thinking I must have done something wrong because even a ⅞" delrin spacer would fall far short of stopping the aileron :confused:

With the aileron full up and no stop, I measure 32?...That doesn't seem right.

Isn't that what the manual gives for Max Up deflection?

Design Travel in degrees Maximum Up/Down Minimum Up/Down
Aileron 32/17 25/15

Very cool trick...

So the measurement of .490 for instance, was the distance needed to be bridged and the diameter of the stop would be roughly double that?

Sorry, no that is the outer diameter of the plastic stop.

It is not that hard!

Why are delrin stops desirable?

Because there is not a metal to metal "hard contact" that bangs and get the paint of the contact areas.

Also I would like to try to use polyuretan hard rubber over an aluminium tube. just to not get that "bang" into the controll system, when accidently a gust ot propwash hits the aileron/rudder.

This to limit stress on the connections, belcranks and bearings.

I just go to the hardware store and get nylon bushings with the correct OD and ID and use them. No issues over hundreds of hours, cheap and easy.

Show a picture with it close to the stop.

delrin2.jpg

This is a ¾" stop and it's nowhere close.

And I put a stack of ⅞" washers just to see and they don't do it either.

My consternation isn't what size to use but why such a large stop when others used anywhere from ½" to ¾".

Last edited:
I just go to the hardware store and get nylon bushings with the correct OD and ID and use them. No issues over hundreds of hours, cheap and easy.

I'm 2 hours away from a Home Depot...I'll be by one on December 20th and try and find one.

Michael, I went to a local hardware store and found the nylon fittings that fit very will. I did have to sand them a bit, but it was minimal. I can pick a few up and mail them if you want. Just let me know.

Have fun!

Michael, I went to a local hardware store and found the nylon fittings that fit very will. I did have to sand them a bit, but it was minimal. I can pick a few up and mail them if you want. Just let me know.

Have fun!

WOW, thanks for the offer. If I can't find some on the 20th I'll PM you.

Back