What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-12 W&B

Cth6

Well Known Member
Looking at a flying RV-12, D-180 with all the options circa 2010. The Empty Arm seems extremely far aft. 764# @ 83.77". The arm for the nose wheel is 32.25" and the mains are 93.75"

We are almost 1" aft CG with my wife and I with full fuel and 50 lbs of baggage and still 100# under gross. If I want to fly solo I need to be down to 13 gallons with 5# of baggage.

Has anyone updated their Arm in the CG calcs for moving the seat forward? The benefit of being a short.

If you are serious, consider having the airplane reweighed and the W&B recalculated.
Unless there is something quite non standard about this particular RV-12, what you are seeing is not typical.

Download THIS Excel spreadsheet and enter your weights into the yellow cells. Make changes to the yellow cells ONLY.
HERE is a link to a previous weight and balance thread. Read my post #15 in that thread.

Last edited:
Download THIS Excel spreadsheet and enter your weights into the yellow cells. Make changes to the yellow cells ONLY.
HERE is a link to a previous weight and balance thread. Read my post #15 in that thread.

I believe you have an error in your spreadsheet. Empty weight on the Weight and Balance tab is fixed and I believe it should be the sum of the three weights above it.

Good news, after making the cell update, it supports my calcs. BTW, great job on the spreadsheet. Much nicer that what I pulled together.

Last edited:
If you are serious, consider having the airplane reweighed and the W&B recalculated.
Unless there is something quite non standard about this particular RV-12, what you are seeing is not typical.

Really nothing that I have seen is non-standard. No, I have not pulled access covers yet but nothing sticks out. Still haven't had the pre-buy yet.

Definitely will get it done in the pre-buy.

I can not take credit for the spreadsheet. I believe that Walter Tondu made it for his RV-7A. I did modify it for the RV-12. If you have not already, change cell B8 to "=sum(B5+B6+B7)" without the quotes.

I can not take credit for the spreadsheet. I believe that Walter Tondu made it for his RV-7A. I did modify it for the RV-12. If you have not already, change cell B8 to "=sum(B5+B6+B7)" without the quotes.

Exactly what I did. Thanks for sharing it.

Back