What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

GRT YouTube Video

flickroll

Well Known Member
Don't want to start a negative thread on GRT (I've heard nothing but good things about them and their products). But the attached YouTube video has caught my eye since I'm considering a dual GRT setup in my -8 Does anyone know anything about this particular issue, and if it was able to be resolved? Thanks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TgzoyoRER-Q

I'm on my second GRT EFIS and have not had any problems. If installed correctly very few ever do and if there is a problem, the good folks at GRT are quick to fix it. You should have no concerns about going with GRT. It is the best system out there, hence my reason for doing it a second time.

I would not have even posted this but the YouTube poster indicated that he was not happy with the service that he received from GRT while trying to resolve this. But based on all that I have read about GRT is that they provide excellent customer support.

Hummmm, I have been flying the GRT for over a year without any problems. Installation is Key.

GRT Customer Service

I have had five different GRT displays hooked up to two different AHRS units since my initial build (due to upgrading) and have never had any problems as indicated by the video. My first question would be has both the display and AHRS been sent back to GRT for testing. That would be the starting point. If GRT could not duplicate the problem then it is obviously an install issue, and if the builder can't figure it out locally with telephone support I suggest a flight up to GRT as they will be more than glad to look at his install and see what the problem is or is not.

GRT has the best customer service of any company in the world.

I would not have even posted this but the YouTube poster indicated that he was not happy with the service that he received from GRT while trying to resolve this. But based on all that I have read about GRT is that they provide excellent customer support.

Every product has a odd one out. And not every customer will always be satisfied.
On average I have just read good about GRT. Have one myself and support has been fine.
Just my 2c , but i really wouldnt worry .

Thanks for the feedback guys. What all of you are saying has been my gut feel....most likely either an installation issue or an oddball hardware issue. Glad to hear all of the reports of great GRT customer service....makes the decision pretty easy.

I fought with this problem in my RV-10

I have a dual screen GRT Horizon I setup (enhanced screens, standard processor). My problem was that the two screens would split (they would disagree on magnetic heading and roll attitude). Typically one would say I was in a 10 degree left bank and the other that I was in a 10 degree right bank. By looking out the window I could tell that the "real" roll attitude was about in the middle.

Usually turbulence or a turn would cause the split. After 30 seconds to a minute the screens would "unite" again. I tried lots of things including moving the magnetometers (to the wing tips), looking for interference issues, replacing the magnetometers etc.

I wish I could say I have the problem completely resolved, but I don't. It still occasionally occurs. Because they are never very far off from the correct heading and attitude, I don't feel unsafe.

Now, for the good news. GRT has been incredibly helpful. I spent endless hours on the phone with Carlos/Mark/Greg. They even visited my airplane at Sun n Fun last year to "take a look". Greg (co-owner of the company) even gave me his personal cell phone number to discuss the problem.

GRT is a great company to work with. They stand behind their products. I would definitely buy their products again.

Bruce, sorry to hear you're still not at 100% with your GRT's. What is GRT saying about this? In other words, have they arrived at 'live with it', or are they still helping to troubleshoot? Did they swap out hardware while you were troubleshooting, or focus more on installation issues? I would hate to be IMC and have 2 AI's not agree. And equally or more importantly, not trusting the displays' ability to provide good data.

I have heard of one more GRT user having this problem (in addition to you and the YouTube guy). I'm trying to make contact with that individual to get more info. Since GRT has to be aware of this issue with the others, I'm curious what there response has been...'we've never seen that one!', or 'yeah we've heard of a few of these and are trying to figure it out'.

I am very happy with my GRTs

If you want to discuss the details, I will happily give you a ring. PM me with a phone number.

I can't quite make the problem in the video, is it splitting AHRS?

I had that issue with my Dual system just about a few weeks ago. Every thing was working fine for the past year and I started getting split AHRS just after take off, and could not get it to split under any other circumstance (steep turn, rolls, etc) Anyway, GRT was very helpful to work with me to find the issue and sent me a new AHRS to replace it. I have not had the issue since the AHRS was replace. I also can give much detail and learn much in the process of troubleshooting the source. So, if any one is interested I be glad to share my findings also on the phone.

Other then this, I can not say enough about GRT and their product or service. I am flying it in IFR condition and have full confidence in the system.

Regards

I guess I'll pipe up and say that we've started noticing our GRT single ahrs gets the leans sometimes when we upset it with steep turns or lazy 8s. It will sometimes display about a 5-10deg roll when flying level. It always corrects after 10-15sec of level flight. It really had the leans the other day when we were flying race tracks for an hour. I haven't contacted GRT yet as I haven't been able to produce absolute repeatability yet.

I have been pushing the Dual AHRS as hard as I can since I installed it late last year, and so far, the only split I saw was deep into the third consecutive roll without stopping - I noticed that each MDU went to it's own AHRS, although I couldn't see any difference in displayed attitudes, and they both went back to "Dual AHRS" within a few seconds after leveling out.

I have tried to repeat it, but haven't yet...and I'm not worried about it! My rule, BTW, is not to expect any piece of aircraft to be "perfect" - that just isn't possible. I plan my systems assuming that each and every component will fail, and plan for it's backup....

Paul

Back