View Single Post
Old 05-09-2017, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gash View Post
I might be able to partially answer this question. From talking to a few other RV pilots, the concerns seem to follow these themes:

1. Equipment. There's a general concern that fuel and oil systems are not adequate for aerobatics. It would be good to keep spreading the word about what is and is not necessary. Ron Schreck's powerpoint slides from Oshkosh are absolutely outstanding for this.
Inverted fuel and oil is nice, but not needed for Sportsman. Primary I competed with a 7ECA, 115HP and no inverted fuel or oil. My normal Sportsman flight was +5/-2 and the -2 was only for less than a few seconds (<5).

Quote:
2. Training. RV pilots I've spoken with feel that their experience is inadequate, but are unsure how to get the right training. It would be good to explain that the aerobatic skills and concepts learned in a different airplane translate well into the RV. So if somebody has any interest in doing aerobatics, they will get training. If they don't have the fire in the belly to do aerobatics, then lack of training is a valid (convenient?) excuse.
Training is important. Basics and a spin series is all you really need. After that, you can learn the finer points with ground critiquing. Once you know spins and the very basics of a loop, roll, and lines, you can practice and get comfortable on your own.

I am not a CFI, but if anyone in South Florida wants a safety pilot to get coached through the basics, I will be glad to help. I try to hold training days out at 2IS twice a month. And if you want a CFI, we can arrange that.

Quote:
3. Aircraft suitability. I hear this all the time, even from non-RV pilots. There is a pervasive idea out there that the RV cannot stay inside the aerobatic box because it builds up speed too quickly. This simply is not true. It took me a few flights to learn how to stay inside the box, but once energy management is mastered, it becomes a non-issue.
Having flown an RV4/6 I can tell you that Primary and Sportsman can easily be won by an 8KCAB Decathlon and the 4 and 6 I flew was much better than an 8KCAB. The 8KCAB has been the gold standard for Sportsman for years and the RV series rolls faster and has better vertical. Bill McLean beat me at many contests in his RV4. There is zero reason why an RV could not become the new standard for Sportsman.

Heck, Primary does not even have a box!

Quote:
4. Intimidation. I suffered from this one a bit. The aerobatic competitors always seemed like a different breed to me, and I wasn't sure how I would be received. I finally had to tell myself to forget about it and just show up. When I went to my first contest and basically told everyone "hello, I'm new, and I know nothing" I was quite pleasantly surprised at how down-to-earth and laid back everybody is. It's just a bunch of regular pilots who are happy to welcome us into the sport.

This is an interesting topic to discuss--perhaps it's worthy of it's own thread. I'd like to read other peoples' ideas on this too.
We try to welcome everyone. There are some clicks, but they don't harm anyone but themselves and seriously, as you learned, most people just want you to show up and have fun.
1986 Pitts S1S - Flying