What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Waaay too much fun in a Viking RV12

gossend

Well Known Member
I just got home from a 3200 mile round trip exodus in my Viking RV-12. Flew from Georgetown in central Texas to Grass Valley in northern CA. It was the most fun trip in my 40 years of flying and 3500 hours. I flew the whole thing at 1000-1500 AGL talking to no one. What a hoot!

The V-110, now with 200 hours, ran like a sewing machine the whole way. At 5350 RPM I trued out at 132 mph. Fuel burn was 5.5-6.0 GPH, depending on altitude and temp. Over the 32 hours Hobbs time, I burned 1 quart of oil. That's 1 oz per hour - somewhat better than my LYC used to do!

Your trip

Hey Dick,

Glad you had a good trip out to the Left coast and back to Texas.
It was good to see you and Bob.

Danny

Sounds great! Generally what route did you take and any pilotage advice you learned is appreciated. Thank You - Doug in IL

As I prepare for a first flight next week in my identical machine, that is very encouraging information you shared. Go Honda!
2z5165e.jpg
[/IMG]

Last edited:
Waaay too much fun!

Sounds great! Generally what route did you take and any pilotage advice you learned is appreciated. Thank You - Doug in IL

I basically followed Interstate 10 west to overnight in Tucson. Then direct Blythe to Palm Springs, thru the Banning Pass, then headed north to Mohave and into the California valley at Tehatchapie Pass. Then north to Grass Valley in the Sierra foothills. I planned the trip to fly waypoints (airports) 50 or so miles apart, so In case all you naysayers were right, I might have a place to land. Not needed. One exception to this is the leg from KTUS TO KBLH, then to KPSP. No airports out there! No highways either....and no cell towers...and at 1000 AGL no radio contact. Kinda solitary...and beautiful.
I took this off my bucket list...then put it right back on! I'm doing OSH this summer (again) and the California adventure again next year!

As I prepare for a first flight next week in my identical machine, that is very encouraging information you shared. Go Honda!
Don, what are you doing to prepare yourself for that first flight? Have you been flying regularly? After following your build all these years I feel like I know you and am a bit concerned. John

At least one RV-12 crashed on the very first takeoff because the plane leaped into the air and stalled. Make sure the stabilator trim is properly set. And if the canopy is inadvertently left unlatched, fly the plane and worry about the canopy later. Tell everyone the intended date of your first flight. Then fly one day earlier when nobody is watching. You will be under a lot less pressure.

Congrats Dick, glad you're back, now for some good tacos...

Just a quick suggestion for Don and his first flight. Visit with a local EAA Flight Advisor. FA's are part of a great EAA program which helps builders analyze their first flight situation and provides valuable planning for the flight.

Later this week I am going to let Jetguy give me some dual (and a BFR). I have gotten VERY rusty during the build and will feel much better after a few hours in a 12 I think.

Don, what are you doing to prepare yourself for that first flight? Have you been flying regularly? After following your build all these years I feel like I know you and am a bit concerned. John

Later this week I am going to let Jetguy give me some dual (and a BFR). I have gotten VERY rusty during the build and will feel much better after a few hours in a 12 I think.

Good choice. I took my last Flight Review with John. A very enjoyable experience. He is very professional and competent.

Wise move.
You will be much better prepared and feel better about everything afterwards.

G3x vs Skyview

Dick,

Tell us about your G3x.
Why did you choose that over SkyView?

First of all, Don hijacked this thread with his Honda emblem photo - I can't compete!!
But I digress.
I chose the Garmin because of the autopilot. At the time I made that decision, the reports on the Dynon AP were troubled. Normal for a new product development. The G3x guys had the benefit of the TSO'd firmware available from other Garmin products - they essentially lifted it and adapted it to the G3x system. Very attractive to me at the time. (2015) Beyond that, I love the shallow user interface hierarchy and in-flight utility of the G3x Touch. I'm a big fan of Dynon, but I think I made the best choice at that time. I have not compared the two offerings since then, and I'm sure both companies have made giant leaps forward in the interim.

Dick, Don,

Since Viking was already mentioned in the title, I believe that I am not hijacking this thread by asking if you would mind sharing some of your experiences with the Viking engine and the company behind it?

I am considering the Viking 130 engine for another project, as the performance seems to be great and as they apparently run without any major issues. Initial problems, like the rubber coupling or cold start issues, have apparently been sorted out. I also spoke with a guy who bought one, he confirmed the impressive performance and stated that the engine would also run very smoothly. He spoke highly of the factory support.

I am however still hesitant because of the short track record and the flak Viking is getting on some internet forums (like this one) for its owner?s past.

Oliver

Viking looks like one of the coolest options around. I've watched some of the videos on youtube. Seems to be a safe option.

I'm all for new GA engines and development. Too long in the making!

Jim

Viking looks like one of the coolest options around. [...]

I think so too. Particularly the Viking 130 seems to be a great performer. The owner of Viking actually won the Zenith STOL competition with it last year – in the CH 750 Cruzer!
So far I haven’t found anything negative about the 130 and the company support, even the previous 110 apparently had only relatively small initial issues. Some people are also accumulating hours rather quickly, the company demonstrator has already over 500 hours on it.

We’ll have to decide on an engine by the end of this year and want something in the 130 hp range. The ULPower would be an option, I however prefer a geared engine, what narrows the selection down to the Viking 130 and the upcoming Rotax 915iS. Rumor however has it that the Rotax will be over $30K, maybe even close to $40k + FWF kit. Holy smokes! The Viking 130, on the other hand, only around $19K, including a very complete FWF kit. I am fully aware that I would be a beta tester for Viking, simply because they haven’t run it for thousands of hours on the test bench yet. Unless we begin to see catastrophic failures of the Viking engine or people complaining about a lack of factory support, the savings are for me big enough to make the installation and the possibly required tinkering, worthwhile.

I really, really wish them success, as I believe that the market needs an geared alternative to the Rotax engines.

I think so too. Particularly the Viking 130 seems to be a great performer. The owner of Viking actually won the Zenith STOL competition with it last year ? in the CH 750 Cruzer!
So far I haven?t found anything negative about the 130 and the company support, even the previous 110 apparently had only relatively small initial issues. Some people are also accumulating hours rather quickly, the company demonstrator has already over 500 hours on it.

We?ll have to decide on an engine by the end of this year and want something in the 130 hp range. The ULPower would be an option, I however prefer a geared engine, what narrows the selection down to the Viking 130 and the upcoming Rotax 915iS. Rumor however has it that the Rotax will be over $30K, maybe even close to $40k + FWF kit. Holy smokes! The Viking 130, on the other hand, only around $19K, including a very complete FWF kit. I am fully aware that I would be a beta tester for Viking, simply because they haven?t run it for thousands of hours on the test bench yet. Unless we begin to see catastrophic failures of the Viking engine or people complaining about a lack of factory support, the savings are for me big enough to make the installation and the possibly required tinkering, worthwhile.

I really, really wish them success, as I believe that the market needs an geared alternative to the Rotax engines.

Will these new engines eat up more of the LSA useful weight? If amphib LSAs get a boost why not just let us have that weight too!

Will these new engines eat up more of the LSA useful weight? If amphib LSAs get a boost why not just let us have that weight too!

I am afraid so. Viking say that in a Zenith, the installed weight is a little bit lower than an O-200, but quite a bit heavier than a 912.

Sorry to but-in but figured I'd make a quick point here. A quick google showed a very troubling history...

http://www.meyette.us/engine.htm
https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/Viking_Aircraft_Engine/conversations/messages

These are exactly the stories I was talking about and which are still concerning me.

It appears however as whether he learned from it: Even though I am keeping a very close eye on what is going on with Viking, I haven't found anything negative about them. Some intitial teething problems, the Viking 110 engines were not as powerful as expected, but that's about it. A local builder, here in Michigan spoke highly about the company support and that the owner would go the extra mile to make his customers happy.
When I inquired for a price, Samantha, the lady in the office, responded super fast and also followed up with me a few day later. She also said, that they have complete engine packages in stock.

A few weeks ago, my position was 'any engine but a Viking', I however have to admit that I am about to change my mind. Particularly, since there are not too many options available.

My curiosity got the best of me so I went to Viking’s site for RV-12 installation and looked at two videos. What strikes me is lack of FireSleeve and the use of clear plastic tubing with push-on fittings for overflow lubricant tanks. Not exactly AN quality…

Screen shots from #2 RV-12 Viking Install Video
-
2mwd3p.png

-
28txjwy.png

My curiosity got the best of me so I went to Viking?s site for RV-12 installation and looked at two videos. What strikes me is lack of FireSleeve and the use of clear plastic tubing with push-on fittings for overflow lubricant tanks. Not exactly AN quality?

Screen shots from #2 RV-12 Viking Install Video
-
2mwd3p.png

-
28txjwy.png

Viking engines don't catch fire😱😱

My curiosity got the best of me so I went to Viking?s site for RV-12 installation and looked at two videos. What strikes me is lack of FireSleeve and the use of clear plastic tubing with push-on fittings for overflow lubricant tanks. Not exactly AN quality?

Interesting. While I am aware that the use of FireSleeves is good practice, I believe that our Cessna also had only rubber grommets. Actually, it appears as whether Van's also uses them in their instructions: https://www.vansaircraft.com/pdf/revisions/RV-12/Section_46.pdf
This 912 installation seems to be in accordance with Van's instructions, actually using a rubber grommet: http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-1ccR8HwnaUI/UkgzGaKuI6I/AAAAAAAAILE/Kl_z_fZIAb0/s1600/DSC_0002.JPG

I have to admit that I thought the Viking RV-12 installation looks really clean and am trying to distinguish between serious concerns regarding the engine package and what is only room for improvement.

i asked viking about the firesleeve and the answer was that you are going to be shutting your fuel off as soon as a fire is detected and the fuel source will be burnt up in a second.
to each his own. you build your installation as you wish. i firesleeved.

i asked viking about the firesleeve and the answer was that you are going to be shutting your fuel off as soon as a fire is detected and the fuel source will be burnt up in a second.
to each his own. you build your installation as you wish. i firesleeved.

If you intend NOT to use fire sleeve, check with your inspector. Many will not sign off on such an installation.

Last edited:
I dunno... Going back to my back-country roots, one of those stol 750's with one of those engines would be pretty darn fun!

Jim

i forgot ''the rest of the story''. a bare hose means you can inspect the hose anytime.

Yes, with the cowling off at annual condition inspection. What about the rest of time, like when you're flying, and hoping clear plastic hose isn't swelling from heat or abrading against something? All aircraft should follow accepted practices for aircraft system airworthiness - nothing less.

Viking CG

How do address any CG issues with the added weight of the Viking engine?
The Viking 110 is mounted aft of the rotax mounting point, so the empty cg is only 0.8 inches forward compared to the rotax airplanes. Flight behavior is essentially the same. Like all Vans designs, it?s a very sweet flying airplane. I?ve flown it 300 hours in 18 mos and I?m loving every minute of it!

Flying fun!

Hi all,

I wanted to chime in. We've been having a great time flying all over California for the past couple months in our Viking 110 powered RV-12. So far, we have about 70hrs on the plane. No major squawks with the engine yet.

They have had a couple required updates (flywheel, etc.) that required some extra work (flywheel replacement, etc.), but really not all that difficult, and the SB's seems to be on par with and the Rotax and RV-12 in general.

I did get a chance to spend some time in an SLSA RV-12 with a Rotax, so in comparison to the Rotax, here are my observations...
1. The liquid cooled engine seems to be less finicky in the hot weather here in California.
2. It seems to start easier, and sounds a little better too.
3. It also seems to climb and cruise slightly better than the Rotax.
4. It was approx 20# heavier than the Rotax, so I did give up some useful load.
5. It definitely took longer to build with a custom panel and engine requiring more work and head-scratching, but for me as an engineer, that was part of the challenge (and fun). Maybe + 6 months.
6. It was also a choice to go with an engine that does not have the same level of experience in the air as say a Lycoming or Rotax, but I did wait until there were several builders with a couple hundred hours, and did my research before jumping in.

So far, I'm pleased with my choice to build the -12 with the Viking. I'll try to update again in a year or so after I put some more hours on the engine.

Sarah

Back